This heat and broody hens

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

This heat and broody hens

Postby llvonn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi, I was wondering if the heat wave we are experiencing will affect hatching rates etc. Is it a good idea to put ice blocks in the nest area to allow the broody an option to regulate the heat?
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Re: This heat and broody hens

Postby Marina » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Hens choose shady places for their nest. Their body temperature is 37.5 degrees C so unless your hen is sitting in the sun she should be ok.

If you put ice blocks into her nest she'll have a wet nest and the eggs will rot.

If she's in the sun your best bet would be to protect her from the sun with some cardboard or whatever you have available.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby llvonn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:28 pm

I am putting together a box and run over the next few days under the shelter of a really nice, shady tree (mulberry). When I was talking about Ice blocks I was thinking of a 2L milk bottle with frozen water that could be exchanged daily. We are looking at 27 degree average over the next ten days in manawatu and it has been hotter. I personally have been going to bed with a wheat bag I have kept in the freezer (I hate the heat). However, my hen is determined to raise chicks.
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Unless she's sitting in the sun, 27 degrees is no problem. If you make one part of the hen cool the eggs under that part won't get warm enough so I'd just leave her to it.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:46 am

We had a few ducklings hatch in the horrible December heat and got a decent hatch rate (10 out of 12 eggs hatched, if I remember right).However, Mrs duck did choose a nest right in the depths of a huge fig bush so had lots of protection from the direct sun, but we were still having 30 degree days regularly. I'd just make sure that your hen is getting up and having food a water regularly, so she doesn't get heatstroke herself, but otherwise as long as the nest is in a shady spot I think it should be ok...

i'm totally with you on the heat, though, llvonn - once it hits 30 degrees my body gives up. I had to have 2 cold showers yesterday to avoid getting a migraine! :roll:
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Return to Hatching & Raising