which incubator is better? Rcom or Brinsea?

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

which incubator is better? Rcom or Brinsea?

Postby MrKK » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:22 am

I've got three different incubators,but none of that works well....
I also have a big one from china, cost me $500 but still not good. last time I put 362 quails eggs in it, only 175 cames through.... I've test the eggs temp, but cames out every times are different,,,, sometimes lower than 37.8 sometimes 38.8 plus... even sometimes 39+ I'm getting so sick of it now. so I'm thinking to get one of the good one, I'm considering the incubator can hatch 300+ eggs not more than 500, can anyone help me to understang which one is better and where can I buy it from? thank you very much all!
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Re: which incubator is better? Rcom or Brinsea?

Postby Marina » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:07 am

Brinsea all the way and Chook Manor (Greg Boyle) sells them.

However, I actually don't believe that 3 incubators aren't working. I think there is an underlying problem. Especially in summer even the cheaper models should hold the temperature.

Where have you got your incubator? In a room with big temperature variations? No incubator works well if the sun shines onto it at times and if the room temparature is less than 15 degrees Celsius. Many people have a heater running to heat the room where the incubator is.

The temperature inside the incubator must never be higher than 37.5 degrees Celsius. If it goes a little lower at times the chicks will still hatch fine but a little bit higher can spoil your whole hatch. So better err on the lower side.

Where in NZ are you? If you live in a humid area like Auckland you might be better off not using water for humidity until hatching time.

Egg quality is another factor that can lead to poor hatches. While your quails may lay well this does not mean they get everything they need to produce an egg that provides everything a growing chick needs. You could consider trying a vitamin and mineral supplement for birds in addition to your regular feed.

And - last but not least - quail eggs are difficult to hatch in an incubator. Have you got them in an upright position at hatching time? This can improve the hatch rate. Some quail hatch a lot later than others. When I had Japanese quail some years ago the chicks started hatching from day 15 onwards and some late ones hatched until day 21 if I remember correctly. Peak hatching was around day 18.

I would consider the above measures before spending money on yet another incubator.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby MrKK » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:51 pm

Thank you for the information Marina,

So what you suggest is Brinsea is a good brand for incubator?

all three incubators from China, two are small can hold up from 56 hen eggs to 80 hen eggs, and another one can hold up to 400 hen eggs and 1300+ quails eggs, they gave all the different temp and different location will be the different temp in the incubator. The one I borrow from a friend which is brinsea and can hold up to 7 hen eggs, this incubator works very well likely 98% the eggs came out(so thats why I'm considering the brinsea).

I'm located in silverdale auckland, I put the incubators in the garage, and there are no sun shines onto it, at night time the room temp is fine even for people if stay in it.

And right, I've put the quails eggs upright position at hatching time.
I've thinking the incubator is too big inside and the fan of the incubator can not reach even temp inside of the incubator, because the big incubator only got one big fan and the fan is on the left hand side, it blowing the wind to the heat pipes(circle pipes) on the wall of the incubator, and it does have two heat pipes, one are small one are bigger, and there is another heat pipe for the humidity underneath in the water cantainer.

The humidity I've set is 65% for the incubator inside, and the other two small incubators can not adjust the humidity in the system, only can adjust by putting how much water in it.

Thank you very much.

Marina wrote:Brinsea all the way and Chook Manor (Greg Boyle) sells them.

However, I actually don't believe that 3 incubators aren't working. I think there is an underlying problem. Especially in summer even the cheaper models should hold the temperature.

Where have you got your incubator? In a room with big temperature variations? No incubator works well if the sun shines onto it at times and if the room temparature is less than 15 degrees Celsius. Many people have a heater running to heat the room where the incubator is.

The temperature inside the incubator must never be higher than 37.5 degrees Celsius. If it goes a little lower at times the chicks will still hatch fine but a little bit higher can spoil your whole hatch. So better err on the lower side.

Where in NZ are you? If you live in a humid area like Auckland you might be better off not using water for humidity until hatching time.

Egg quality is another factor that can lead to poor hatches. While your quails may lay well this does not mean they get everything they need to produce an egg that provides everything a growing chick needs. You could consider trying a vitamin and mineral supplement for birds in addition to your regular feed.

And - last but not least - quail eggs are difficult to hatch in an incubator. Have you got them in an upright position at hatching time? This can improve the hatch rate. Some quail hatch a lot later than others. When I had Japanese quail some years ago the chicks started hatching from day 15 onwards and some late ones hatched until day 21 if I remember correctly. Peak hatching was around day 18.

I would consider the above measures before spending money on yet another incubator.
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Postby MrKK » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:55 pm

BTW, one of my friend told me that the Rcom incubator is very good as well, thats one of the reason I'm writing this post to ask for help.

thanks again very much.
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:21 pm

The RCom gets the thumbs up from quite a few people and I had thought someone with RCom experience would comment.

The RCom is cheaper than a Brinsea of comparable size and that speaks for the RCom. However, I've got a Brinsea 40 Egg incubator and get very good hatches.

Great that you know that your eggs do hatch well if incubated correctly. Those Chinese incubators don't sound very good from your description.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby MrKK » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:59 am

Marina wrote:The RCom gets the thumbs up from quite a few people and I had thought someone with RCom experience would comment.

The RCom is cheaper than a Brinsea of comparable size and that speaks for the RCom. However, I've got a Brinsea 40 Egg incubator and get very good hatches.

Great that you know that your eggs do hatch well if incubated correctly. Those Chinese incubators don't sound very good from your description.

Yes, I've try so many ways to hatch eggs, but the result always came with disappointed, Chinese incubators are not good at all, I finally learned that from our forum "you get what you pay for".

I think Rcom is from Korea and Brinsea from The UK, I've compared those two, the design of the incubators are similar. But I've already made my mind, if I'm gonna get another good incubator, that will be brinsea. thank you for all your help Marina!
MrKK
Chick
Chick

Return to Hatching & Raising