Zero development in eggs :(

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Zero development in eggs :(

Postby sewren » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:33 pm

I'd like a quick opinion if that's ok - I just candled some eggs that I had posted last week, it is day 5 today and there is absolutely no sign of veins in any of the eggs, and I am gutted. The eggs are split between 2 broodies, and are a mix of 3 different breeds (7:2:1 eggs of each).

When I opened the parcel 2 of the eggs had broken, despite them being very well packaged, so I can only assume they were not very well treated in the post. Because of this I rested them for nearly 48 hrs before putting them under the broody hens, but since they are different breeds and under 2 different hens I am thinking that rough treatment in the post is the likely culprit - what do you reckon? Is that the most likely cause?

Urgh - I am so sad right now :(
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Re: Zero development in eggs :(

Postby Marina » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:12 pm

You need a very strong light to actually see something on day 5. I usually wait until day 7.

When you decide to crack them you'll see whether they were fertile. If they were infertile to start with the egg will look like a fresh egg. If they were fertile some development will have happened and the yolk will at least disintegrate.

It's devastating but not unheard of that you get 3 lots of infertile eggs from 1 breeder.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby tishie11 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:19 am

I agree, wait till at least a week, especially with speckled or darker eggs. Too hard to see anything earlier than that. And the yolk moving around can confuse you!
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:45 am

I'm using the same torch as always and I can normally see veins by now, so I'm not hopeful, but yes I will leave it a few more days before the final decision....

The seller said she had been getting good fertility with the breed I have 7 eggs of, the other 3 eggs were older ones that she threw in for free so I'm not so worried about them as they were a long shot anyway.

Oh well, wish me luck in a few days.... :(
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby eae » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:48 pm

Regardless of the reason, that's super disappointing. If nothing is showing on day 7 are you able to get anything else quickly to pop under your girls? What breeds were you aiming for?
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Kracka » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:52 pm

Yeah, rough handling is not good - so even though they didn't crack it can rupture the insides
if you think there's a chance of quickly getting some replacement eggs, I'd give it a go - these ones have to stay there till the replacements turn up anyway - but yeah I prefer to check at a week (or later for ducks)
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:32 pm

Well, I just checked again, and it's day 8 and definitely no development. Urgh. :(

eae wrote:Regardless of the reason, that's super disappointing. If nothing is showing on day 7 are you able to get anything else quickly to pop under your girls? What breeds were you aiming for?

Well the ones I am most gutted about it the 7 silver sussex eggs - I've been trying to get hold of some for a while now so that're the really sad ones, the others were a mix of speckled and light sussex that the seller threw in to make up numbers so I'm not so bothered about them.

So, I guess my next question is - anyone in/near Christchurch going to have any day-old chicks available in the next week or so? Might as well try and get something for the poor dames to mother since they've been sitting for 2 weeks now!
sewren

Postby Marina » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:36 am

I do - and there might be some lavenders amomg them :-) ... will send you an email.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Hatching & Raising