Has The EQ Killed My Hatch?

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Has The EQ Killed My Hatch?

Postby Dean » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:35 pm

I have heard of this phenomenon. Today is day 22. Most unusual to be still waiting for the whole bunch to hatch. Very worried my darling Lucille will be left with nothing to mother. :cry:
Going to give it a couple more days.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: Has The EQ Killed My Hatch?

Postby Marina » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:22 pm

That's possible. I lost all the eggs under hens during the September quake here in Christchurch, same in February, but the eggs in the incubator did not all die - only the ones that were in there for less than 10 days.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:08 am

Oh I do hope not - that would be sad. I've had a few hatches survive through earthquakes, but nothing as big as we had this week so I suppose it may have affected them depending on where you are. Did your hen keep sitting throughout? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Dean » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:26 pm

sewren wrote:Oh I do hope not - that would be sad. I've had a few hatches survive through earthquakes, but nothing as big as we had this week so I suppose it may have affected them depending on where you are. Did your hen keep sitting throughout? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Well she was happily still on the eggs next morning. I candled an egg yesterday and it was fully developed. Today I had a look and found an egg with most of the shell removed but membrane intact. I carefully opened it away from the yoke sack, no bleeding and it was barely alive and died in my hand. Would the mother hen have removed all the shell do you think?
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Dean » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:28 pm

Marina wrote:That's possible. I lost all the eggs under hens during the September quake here in Christchurch, same in February, but the eggs in the incubator did not all die - only the ones that were in there for less than 10 days.

Ahhh sad. Yes I read about eggs and earth quakes somewhere a long time go.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Dean » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:08 am

On day 24 we have a chick.

So relieved for my little dedicated mum.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby sewren » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Hurrah! Hopefully more will be on the way before long. Now, I have to go because looking at that photo is making me dizzy! ;)
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Foehn » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:47 pm

You can also very carefully lower an egg into warm water, need to be close to mothers temp. The egg should float and the trick is to have it settle quickly. If it has a live chick in it, it will begin to wobble as the chick moves.
You can also listen very carefully you may hear the chick pipping, or cheeping.
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:08 am

Today on day 25 I removed the eggs and left her with her two babies. One infertile or non developed egg out of 12. About 3 were dead. 6 live chicks, only one still with its yoke sack. One died within 5 minutes the other 5 are in the oven on a cloth in a fry pan, with a dish of steaming water near by. We can only hope. They were dry as. But as soon as I broke in they started chirping. We can only but try. All still alive, one particular lively (a roo I bet).

One has since died, feisty has gone out to his mother, 3 still touch and go.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby eae » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:55 am

Oh gosh, what a drama. I'm glad it looks like your hen will at least have 2 to mother... crossing fingers for the rest.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:35 am

How strange - hope more o them pull through. Try putting them down your top until they fluff up....
sewren

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:36 pm

sewren wrote:How strange - hope more o them pull through. Try putting them down your top until they fluff up....

I saved 3 out of the 6. The first one to die was the only one still with its yoke sac. All the other had already absorbed it and some had even pooped. The last two went down my top for half an hour, and didn't fluff up so much as just lifted their spirits. All with mum now so she has 5. One I would say is still iffy.
Last edited by Dean on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:39 pm

I was talking to a gentleman I sent 14 turkey eggs to. He has had the same issues. One poult arrived 4 days early. Then a 2nd one arrived on time. All the rest fully developed but dead. He had the EQ too followed by an electrical storm.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:43 pm

Foehn wrote:You can also very carefully lower an egg into warm water, need to be close to mothers temp. The egg should float and the trick is to have it settle quickly. If it has a live chick in it, it will begin to wobble as the chick moves.
You can also listen very carefully you may hear the chick pipping, or cheeping.

I will remember this too. I think if I had left these they would have all died. Things were drying out and they were exhausted I think. Maybe the awful EQ played a part, they are known too.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:45 pm

eae wrote:Oh gosh, what a drama. I'm glad it looks like your hen will at least have 2 to mother... crossing fingers for the rest.

I know, drama is right. She has 5 so feel I did my best. :D
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Next

Return to Hatching & Raising