Has The EQ Killed My Hatch?

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Re: Has The EQ Killed My Hatch?

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:47 pm

Now I am really concerned for the duck eggs under two broodies that also experienced the EQ. :(
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby sewren » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:15 pm

Dean wrote:
sewren wrote:How strange - hope more o them pull through. Try putting them down your top until they fluff up....

I saved 3 out of the 6. The first one to die was the only one still with its yoke sac. All the other had already absorbed it and some had even pooped. The last two went down my top for half an hour, and didn't fluff up so much as just lifted their spirits. All with mum now so she has 5. One I would say is still iffy.

Well done, I think 3 surviving is a pretty good result given what state you found them in. Fingers crossed that weak one gains strength over night.

Did you notice if the chicks had found the air sac ok or not - had they even started pipping?

I just did some googling and this website says that vibrating/shaking of eggs soon before hatching can cause chicks to be 'crippled'. I wonder if that meant that they couldn't move around in the shell properly and get to pip? I'm definitely no expert though...
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/deadinshell.html

I also found this but most of these causes aren't likely with a broody hen, although I suppose they could have got chilled if she got disturbed by the earthquake...?
https://extension.illinois.edu/eggs/res24-05.html

Fingers crossed for the duck eggs - hopefully if they weren't as far through incubation they might not have been affected so much... Let us know how they go!
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Dean » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:47 am

No pipping at all. I noticed on some, in entering at the air sac end, that the membrane was very dry and as soon as I managed and it was tuff, to split the membrane the chicks started chirping. They all seemed very exhausted. Only one chick was very chirpy and active after 15 minutes. All 5 (three I saved) are very well this morning. Thanks for the links.

Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby tishie11 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:21 pm

So it seems that the quake might have just delayed the hatch?? I'll keep that in mind if we ever have a quake up here........crossing fingers we never do!
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Dean » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:36 pm

tishie11 wrote:So it seems that the quake might have just delayed the hatch?? I'll keep that in mind if we ever have a quake up here........crossing fingers we never do!

I think it did more than that. I don't think any of the chicks would have hatched. They were buggered. All yoke sac absorbed. Pooing before they were hatched. Totally worn out. I have heard of quakes killing hatches.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Previous

Return to Hatching & Raising