Feeding newly hatched chicks

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Feeding newly hatched chicks

Postby Wenz » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:13 am

Hi, just wondering if it's ok to feed newly hatched pheasant and chicken chicks meat bird crumbles instead of chick starter? I have some due to hatch in the incubator this week, and I have a large bag of meat bird crumbles. I'm just trying to save myself a trip to town to buy chick starter. ;) many thanks
Wenz
Quail
Quail

Re: Feeding newly hatched chicks

Postby tishie11 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:49 pm

Definitely perfect for game birds (pheasants) and Ok for chickens - they just have a higher protein %. I've used meat bird crumbles a lot in my pheasant/guinea fowl/partridge hatches.
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Wenz » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:07 pm

Ah awesome, thanks heaps for your reply! :D that will definitely save me a trip to town.
Wenz
Quail
Quail

Postby Kracka » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:49 am

The only thing that the Chick starter will have that the meat crumbles doesn't will be the coccidiostat (pretty sure the meat crumbles doesn't have it in it) - which is fine if you're keeping your little chicks inside (or at least off the ground - as that's where they'll pick up the coccidiosis)
So you might need to think about getting a medicated chick starter once you move the birds out onto the lawn... which might not be for a while with all this rain! (they're more likely to pickup Coccidiosis when its warm & wet & they're walking in some mud/poo etc)
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Wenz » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:10 pm

Thanks Kracka, yeah I thought about the cocci but they will be inside for at least a month so I've got time to get some starter before they go onto grass and dirt. I'm not sure if meat crumbles are medicated, don't think so. I appreciate you and Tishie taking the time to reply.
Wenz
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:07 pm

To the best of my knowledge meat bird crumbs are not medicated. Chicks can get coccidiosis when they are inside - it actually is more likely that they get it when inside than when they are outside if their outside run is bigger than the inside run. It usually takes 3 weeks for a high enough number of parasites to build up before symptoms appear. You can always treat with coxiprol or Baycox should they get coccidiosis.

Meat bird crumbs also have a higher protein content than chick starter so your chicks will grow faster. For chicken chicks feeding only meat bird crumbs provides them with more nutrition than they need so I'd mix it with some oats or kibbled wheat after the first week or so.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Wenz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks heaps Marina! As always, great advice.
Wenz
Quail
Quail

Return to Hatching & Raising