0% hatch rate :(

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

0% hatch rate :(

Postby thara » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:39 am

Hello everyone!
I bought one of those Chinese 48 eggs incubator, and placed eggs bought from a trademe seller. I collected the eggs in person. It’s on day 26 and nothing hatched out of 46 eggs. Before placing the eggs, checked the incubator if it’s temp & humidity reading is right, by placing a thermometer/hygrometer inside and the reading showed nearly the same in both. The temp remained almost constant at 38 deg, and the humidity was 60-65. The automatic turner did its job every 2 hours. Tried to bring down the humidity by adding, removing water, but it stayed the same. During night time It read around 55 and daytime around 60-65. I am aware the hatch rate of these incubators are not great compared to Brinsea or Rcom, but went for this as per situation.
I am not sure what went wrong. The temp and humidity plunges when opening up the incubator but it comes up quickly once the incubator is closed. I had moved the eggs to the hatching tray on day 18. Is there anything that could have gone wrong. I am very much disappointed.
thara
Chick
Chick

Re: 0% hatch rate :(

Postby sewren » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:16 am

Hi thara - sorry to hear you have had an unsuccessful hatch, that much be super-disappointing :( I haven't ever hatched using an incubator (just broody hens) so I can't help with details on the temp and humidity, but I was just wondering did you try candling the eggs at all during their development? It might be good to know at what point they failed to try and work out what went wrong.

Another way to do this, if you are game, would be to open some of the eggs (candle them first just in case) although beware that if they quit early on or were infertile to start with then one small tap might result in a big smelly egg explosion, so this is better done outside and in very old clothes, and with the egg in a plastic bag!!

Doing this might help work out if the eggs you bought had a low fertility rate, or if it was more related to the incubator settings.
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby thara » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:54 am

Hi Sewren, thanks for your response.
Didn't do the candling unfortunately. I'll try to open some of the eggs today or tomorrow.
thara
Chick
Chick

Postby tishie11 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:31 pm

That must be very disappointing!

The usual accepted temperature for incubation is 37.5C so the slighter higher 38C could have made a difference. Also I always use between 45 and 55% humidity for the first 18 days then around 65 - 70% for the last 3 days. So your temp and humidity would have been a bit too high for normal incubation. Of course it may not have been possible to get those figures on the incubator you have.
Also you don't know if the eggs you got were fertile after all!

I agree - have a look inside the eggs if you're not squeamish! That's the only way to know whether they were fertile and started developing at all. I've never had any hatch after the 23rd day.
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:52 pm

Here's a link to a development chart which might help you work out when they quit, depending on what you find. Although if they started developing but quit early, I think you might just find a smelly mess by now...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 5ee5a3.jpg
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby thara » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:29 pm

Thanks tishie. I can set the temp in this incubator but not sure how to control the humidity. The humidity increases or decreases as per the outside humidity.
Thanks sewren, that chart is very informative.
I just candled some of the eggs. Some were just bright inside - infertile.
Few are dark inside and looked like day 15+ (from the chart).
Few are like 50% dark inside and floating in the liquid when I rotate the egg - may be stopped around day 8 ?
1 or 2 looked like stopped at day 5 or 6.

I will try to open few tomorrow.
thara
Chick
Chick

Postby seatil » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:29 am

I know others have said this, but if you open them, open them outside! I can't say this loudly enough. :D They are probably rotten by now and will smell abominably.

How were you measuring the temperature? The integrated thermometer I found to be inaccurate. It also measured the temperature several cm above the eggs which doesn't tell you much about the temperature where the eggs are (it can change quite a bit within those 5-10cm). Temperature at the eggs should be 37.5C. Also, be aware that there can be hot and cool spots within the incubator, so it's well worth checking at various points.

Controlling humidity on a cheap chinese incubator I have found to be tricky initially. There's no automatic control, and typically adding a very small (we're talking a squirt or two from the provided bottle) amount of water will over about an hour raise humidity quite substantially, but it takes time to happen. It's very very easy to add too much water, which will take the best part of a day or two to lower to the required level (and then drop below that quite quickly...) I used a medical drip set at a VERY slow rate to regulate humidity with mine, and then it still needed tweaking from time to time.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Kracka » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:56 am

that's frustrating
where do you have the incubator sitting? sometimes the cheaper ones struggle to respond to outside fluctuations, so its best to find them a room that changes the least in temperature from day to night - preferably no sun shining in the windows etc (go as far as closing the curtains if you can)
now that its a bit warmer, it can get quite hot in a room during the day - I think you're better off keeping the room at a constant temperature, even if it is a bit lower than the rest of the house during the day

I don't know what I've done with the eggs I have in the incubator at the moment - I've had a turkey & a duckling hatch - then nothing for 2 days - then one more duckling and one more turkey today - I wrote the hatch date down as 7 Nov, but when I candled them they were nowhere near ready 3 days before that - think I wrote the date down wrong (must have counted 3 weeks instead of 4), but not sure how these early ones managed to hatch with such a head start?! Incubators.....
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Return to Hatching & Raising