Duckies!! (at last)

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Duckies!! (at last)

Postby sewren » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:20 pm

These wee guys are giving me heaps of joy already, and I'm so excited to add ducks to the menagerie. They had their first paddle this morning and I don't think they could have been happier :)

One chook has 3....

The other has 7 (but she's hiding half of them behind her giant thigh)...
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Re: Duckies!! (at last)

Postby Kracka » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:52 pm

Cute!
what colours?
we've got some young Silver Appleyards that look a bit like that - yellow with a hint of striping on the head
ours are getting darker now though
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:43 pm

Yes, these are silver appleyards too, from seatil :)

They seem to have a real range from almost totally yellow to that dark one in the right in the last pic so I'm excited to see how the feathers come in. Although I doubt I'll be able to keep track of who is who, especially with the bunch of seven.
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby eae » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:01 pm

Yay for babies :) :) What did the hens think of their babies splashign around in water?
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:15 pm

eae wrote:Yay for babies :) :) What did the hens think of their babies splashign around in water?

They actually didn't mind, which I was a bit surprised at because I heard they can freak out a bit at that. They have only been paddling so far, though, so maybe when they start swimming the hens will really get worried.

I have worked out that the ducklings definitely don't speak very good 'chook', though - when mum finds a nice morsel and calls them over she just gets blank faces, much to her confusion. Luckily they seem to be managing to feed and water themselves as a troop well enough, and they also seem to respond to mum's 'danger - hide!' call, so they get that one at least. It will be interesting to see how this duck/hen partnership continues.
sewren

Postby seatil » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:59 am

The one and only hen I've ever had raising ducklings spent the best part of six weeks chasing around after her flock of 12. They did not listen to her at all and would usually wander off as a troop in the opposite direction to wherever she wanted them to go. She hasn't been broody since.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:27 am

It's better if a mother hen with ducklings is penned up and not free ranging so the ducklings can't run away :mrgreen:

We've done this once and it worked well in a pen. Once the ducklings were 5 weeks old or so we let them out and they eventually teamed up with the adult ducks.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:32 am

seatil wrote:The one and only hen I've ever had raising ducklings spent the best part of six weeks chasing around after her flock of 12. They did not listen to her at all and would usually wander off as a troop in the opposite direction to wherever she wanted them to go. She hasn't been broody since.

Lol, I think that would put me of future parenting too. Oh wait, that is essentially what my younger son did do :lol:
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Kracka » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:43 pm

that is essentially what my younger son did do

he has a flock of 12 children!!?! :lol:
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:23 pm

Here are some update pics - same ducks, now 5 weeks old. Boy, do ducks grow fast!! :o :shock:

They are pretty varied in colouring (as they were as chicks) from quite pale to more brown - I totally lost track of who was who (especially when the two clutches merged) but assume the darker chicks led to darker adults. That seems to be approximately right number wise. A couple of the darker ones are also quite a lot smaller than the others. They are just starting to get their grown up voices, but I haven't paid attention to the rabble enough to try and work out boys and girls yet.

Top view (please excuse the detritus - I really need to have a tidy up!)

Front view

Doing what ducklings do best (i.e. inhabiting a muddy puddle)

On another note, does anyone know a better alternative to photobucket? It took me waaay too long to upload and retrieve the URL of those 3 photos (and there was another one I wanted to add but I just can't bear the waiting and wading through the advertising). Any thoughts...?!
sewren

Postby seatil » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:00 pm

Boy haven't they grown! Some lovely looking duckies in there.

The smaller darker ones will be from my first lot of appleyards. While they lack in size compared to the other guys, they can't half output lots of big eggs.

Hopefully not too many boys, but looking at the picture - a fair few look boy to me. It's hard to say as mixing the two strains together = I can't rely on my usual visual cues and I can't hear them in the photograph!

The centre one in the middle pic (with the dazzling yellow beak) - almost certainly a duck. I assume she's front left in the muddy puddle pic.

They look like they're having heaps of fun.

Yesterday my lot discovered that the other half had failed to shut the paddock gate properly. Went out to see 11 ducks/drakes wandering around the driveway. They saw me and shuffled sheepishly back into their paddock. :roll: I wish the chooks that also got out were as easy to round up!
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Scarlet » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:03 pm

What a handsome crew. And only 5 weeks old? Incredible! :o
2 BPR crosses (Trouble and Brownie), 1 BLW (Lily), 1 Partridge Wyandotte (Rosie), 1 Black Orpington (Nigella), 3 Barnevelders (Alison, Annabel and Delia), and one Barnevelder cockerel (Gordon).
Scarlet
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby sewren » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:49 am

seatil wrote:The smaller darker ones will be from my first lot of appleyards. While they lack in size compared to the other guys, they can't half output lots of big eggs.

Yes - I'm hoping at least one of these is a girl, to keep that excellent laying trait in the flock. Hopefully the 'hybrids' of your two strains will be pretty good too, though.

seatil wrote:Hopefully not too many boys, but looking at the picture - a fair few look boy to me. It's hard to say as mixing the two strains together = I can't rely on my usual visual cues and I can't hear them in the photograph!

The centre one in the middle pic (with the dazzling yellow beak) - almost certainly a duck. I assume she's front left in the muddy puddle pic.

Can I ask what visual things you are going by to distinguish drakes from ducks in the photos..? I should really just going and have a listen of them all, paying attention to who is who. That one with the yellow beak is the only one I have been able to follow as an individual, because she is the only one who has had that totally plain bright beak, but I don't think I have heard her grown up voice yet.
sewren

Postby seatil » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:20 pm

With the larger strain, bright yellow beak = girl. The greener the bill the more likely it is to be a boy. With the smaller strain they're all pretty green, but the boys more so than the girls on the whole. The larger strain, the ones that look more white than brown have so far ended up being girls. But it all gets murky when you cross the two...

I usually corner my ducks and grab them one by one and hold them until they make a noise, and then chuck a (huge - those legs get big) leg band on according to the noise it made. Blue (boy) - Pink (girl) - Other (undecided).
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:34 am

Oh dear, we have mostly green beaks! Two with yellow mottled, the one bright yellow, and the rest all greener. Oh well, I'll try and pick a few up and see what they say (while trying not to get scratched to bits). I need to do an angel-wing fix on one of them anyway, so I'll start with that one...

That yellow-billed girl is definitely quacking. When I've got them sorted I'll try and work out if there is a pattern to the madness....
sewren

Next

Return to Hatching & Raising