How to move chicks to another hen

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

How to move chicks to another hen

Postby eae » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:40 pm

My lovely, calm GLW has 5 chicks that hatched Monday/Tuesday of this week. My psychotic wyandotte/pekin bantam has, at last count, 7 houdans that hatched today.. possibly one more to hatch.

I'd like to move 3 of the houdans to my GLW as I think the bantam will struggle to cover 7-8 when they get more than a week or two old. She's not super fluffy like a full pekin. Also, I'd like some of the houdans to have a chance at liking us - the GLW doesn't freak out at all when we come near her or her chicks, whereas the others pull out the Bruce Lee moves whenever we go near the cage. Our other wyandotte/pekin (with her four 2w old chicks) managed to draw blood on my husband's arm yesterday when he was trying to fill the feeder :lol:

So - when should I move them? Being 4-5 days since the GLW's hatched, should I wait a couple of days until the houdans have been taught to eat, then move them under the new mum one night when it is dark? If my thinking is flawed in any of this plan, please point it out :)
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Re: How to move chicks to another hen

Postby Marina » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:56 pm

Your plan sounds good to me. I, too, would wait until the new chicks are at least a day or 2 old. Just make sure the new chicks can't hear the hen they have hatched under. Otherwise you might find them huddling in the corner closest to your Pekin hen :evil:
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Hatching & Raising