And my own new fluffies

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

And my own new fluffies

Postby eae » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:51 pm

5 faverolles -- there is still one egg under her, but given the first hatched before 7am yesterday and the most recent sometime last night, I don't hold much hope for it. 2 look to have slight poofs where muffs and beards should be, 2 look like beards only and one has a completely smooth face. Does this sound about right or am I imagining things and it is way too early to tell? :D

Question about the 5th toe. 2 have a clear 5th toe, 2 have 4 toes but one of which looks like a fat toe with 2 claws and 1 only has 4 toes and no second claw. How will the 2-clawed single toes work as adults? I'm not super concerned about breeding standards (although good examples are always nice to have) but I don't want them to have a deformity that will cause pain or problems as mature birds.

Is this even close to how the 5 toe set up should look?

Not the best photo, but if you look closely you can see the second claw.

eae
Chicken
Chicken

Re: And my own new fluffies

Postby wolga » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:19 pm

Aren't they cute ! Can't offer much much advise on the toes. But I'm sure Marina can. She's breeding Faverolles.
wolga

Re: And my own new fluffies

Postby Marina » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Congratulations, 5 out of 6 is a very good hatch. well done your broody hen :-)

They all have the correct hatch down - no stripes or dots - so have a good chance to look like Salmon Faverolles once adults .

Regarding the double claw - no health concern, just not fit for the show bench.

I, too, still get the odd chick without muffs/beard or with only 4 toes. As all these traits are dominant it's so difficult to get rid of the recessive unwated trait.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Hatching & Raising