How are everyone's hatches doing?

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

How are everyone's hatches doing?

Postby eae » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:32 pm

My first lot for the year, 8 RIRs, was a complete disaster. At day 7, 2-3 were looking viable. By day 12 that was down to 1. That single egg didn't hatch. However, thanks to Wolga's generosity, my little crossbreed bantam (and first time mother), Chive, now has 4 wee chicks to mother :) I couldn't deal with the thought of having to put her in the broody cage after 5 weeks of sitting. Thank you Wolga :)

#2 - day 14. 12 faverolles from Appletons under my experienced GLW. Day 7, only 6 looking good.. day 12 confirmed that number, so discarded the rest. Given that these had to be couriered from Nelson to Auckland, I'm not sure if 50% is reasonable or not. Either way, hoping most of those hatch and that we end up with 2 pullets. If we get that I'll be happy.

#3 - day 10. 10 houdans from New Plymouth under the other crossbreed bantam, Onion. When I unpacked the eggs I was struck with the smell of rotten egg, tracked down the culprit and chucked it. The seller waited 5 days from when I paid to actually send the eggs.. I was not happy about this at all. Given the wait and the rotten one, I was not holding out much hope at all for a successful hatch. So imagine my surprise when on day 7, 8 of the 9 were looking good. Again, we're just holding out for 2 pullets, any above that is a bonus.

How is everyone else going?
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Re: How are everyone's hatches doing?

Postby Foehn » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:25 pm

First lot a large number of infertiles. Second lot only 50% hatch rate and of those that didn't hatch there were a number of very dense eggs that made me think they were developing when infact were infertile, some that started and stopped about day 12 for unknown reason, two that pipped then died all tangled up in very tough membranes and one exceptionally late one which suggests a cold spot in the incubator, which was a live when I broke open the shell, but promptly died. Might have hatched if I'd left it one more day. It was 4 days behind the rest of the hatch, so assumed it wouldn't. It was a big egg, so I don't know if that was a factor.
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby tishie11 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:48 pm

My first hatch, of my own Orpington eggs, was great. Set 20 eggs and 19 were fertile and grew to full term, though 2 just didn't hatch. 1 had a hock problem and had to be put down, so I was left with 16 good ones. I was very pleased with that result. And I didn't have to assist in any of the hatchings for a change - all managed to get out on their own.
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:50 am

The season started off with mainly infertile eggs here, too. But I now have a few chicks. I, too, have some that can't get up and need to be sent to chicky heaven.

eae - 50% hatch rate is about average for posted eggs. Faverolles aren't the best breeders and it's nice to see that some people give them a go. They're such characters and well worth having :D

Foehn - this sounds like humidity a bit too high. Larger eggs in particular need less humidity.

I've got a hatch in progress and I just noticed that I forgot to refill the water - so they are hatching dry. 11 out so far out of 15 eggs I think. During incubation they had water but not during hatching.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Foehn » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:00 am

Marina wrote:Foehn - this sounds like humidity a bit too high. Larger eggs in particular need less humidity.

I've got a hatch in progress and I just noticed that I forgot to refill the water - so they are hatching dry. 11 out so far out of 15 eggs I think. During incubation they had water but not during hatching.

Ah I dry hatch, so it's a reflection on the horrible winter/spring conditions. According to the hygrometer, it was still 60% with no water added, so a good reason not to add water in this moisture laden atmosphere.
I only add a little water to help the membranes stay damp when they begin to hatch, due to fan assisted heat. Must try to get some photos, theres some very interesting chicks in this hatch.
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby eae » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:33 am

Sounds like a bit of a mixed start for everyone (well, except you, Tishie!) Hopefully things sort out as the weather improves. Hoping we don't have a soggy summer again up here in Nth Auckland. I know rain is a good thing, but we had waaay too much last summer.

Marina - Good to know that 50% isn't necessarily out of line for posted eggs. I specifically put them under my known good mother as it seems to be much harder to get Faverolles than the other breeds I'm looking for. I didn't want to chance it with a first time mother.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:59 pm

I've still got eggs cooking so no babies yet, but the two batches of ducks eggs I've got under chooks were looking very good at the day 7 candling (only had to ditch one egg out of 16). Unfortunately I had a mini disaster with the orp eggs that I have under another chook - I poked my head in one day when I noticed the broody was off the nest and one of the eggs had broken! Not sure how long it had been like that because it had been a few days since I'd last checked on the eggs... :?

I did a quick inspection and three of the remaining 7 eggs had dried yolk on them, which was scraped off, and the nest cleaned out, but I still had to ditch 2 eggs when I candled them - one of these was infertile but one was a quitter, possibly from the messy nest? So she's now left with just 5 eggs. We'll have to see how they are going in a couple of days, hopefully I won't have any more quitters or she won't have many kids to mother (and chances are I'll end up with all boys from what's left!) But this was my chook with a sore hip, so hopefully sitting for 3.5 weeks will have sorted that problem out however many chicks she ends up with.
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Marina » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:52 pm

Yes, scrape off the dried yolk and they're likely to still hatch - if they are fertile and growing. And no, the dried yolk won't have caused one of the eggs to quit - unless it was completely covered and the embryo was cut off from the air.

Fingers crossed you'll get chicks soon.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:10 am

Marina wrote:And no, the dried yolk won't have caused one of the eggs to quit - unless it was completely covered and the embryo was cut off from the air.

Oh good, I was worried that if it had been like that for a few days there was a risk of bacteria getting in the soiled eggs from the broken egg, but fingers crossed I should still get chicks from those eggs then!

Somehow 3 eggs escaped any of the broken yuck and they looked good when I candled them, so there will be chicks!! :D :D (Look at me tempting fate - what do they say about counting your chickens before they hatch...?!)
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Return to Hatching & Raising