Slipped tendon in chicks

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Slipped tendon in chicks

Postby tishie11 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:30 am

I have what I think is the slipped tendon situation in 2 of my current batch of chicks, hatched yesterday.

I have tried the methods suggested to fix this (stretching the leg out and rolling the hock joint between the fingers) but have never had any luck so far.

Any suggestions from anyone who has succeeded in relocating the slipped tendon and saved any chicks?

I need to do this asap or they will have to be put down unfortunately, as I have seen how the deformity develops if left while they grow.
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Re: Slipped tendon in chicks

Postby wolga » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:49 am

I've tried that a few times too and unfortunately it never worked. Now I send them to the big green pasture straight away.
wolga

Re: Slipped tendon in chicks

Postby Marina » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:33 pm

I, too, haven't got a remedy apart from a one-way ticket over the rainbow bridge.

I don't think it can be fixed. If you look at the joint capsule post mortem it's hugely enlarged and deformed so I can't even imagine how it should ever grow into a healthy joint without serious surgery.

A good dietary supplement for the parent birds is the only way I know of to avoid this from happening.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Hatching & Raising