My first chicks this season

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

My first chicks this season

Postby tishie11 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:07 am

I had 19 growing eggs from 20 of my own Orpington eggs. I've had 17 hatch, 15 good ones and 2 with hock issues (which I've never been able to fix).

Here's a photo of the variety of colours I'm getting lately! Goodness knows where the white one came from .........

tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Re: My first chicks this season

Postby eae » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:40 am

Ahh what little piles of cuteness :) What colour does the yellow one mature into?
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby tishie11 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:08 am

I've had several gold/buff roosters lately so I think that one will be a goldy colour - but who knows! Also could turn out to be a gold laced as I've had a few of those lately.
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby wolga » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:08 am

What a lovely mix of colours ! It will be interesting to see how they feather up later.
wolga

Postby Foehn » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:47 pm

Have a look at this article in the merck veterinary manual, on perosis in chickens, and see if the hock issues fit with what you have. I was getting a lot of perosis in my chicks, sometimes as late as 6-8 weeks old, and some at hatching, until I found a poultry tonic with manganese in it. I had no issues last year. A soil test here confirmed the mineral deficiency. http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/nutrition_and_management_poultry/mineral_deficiencies_in_poultry.html?qt=perosis%20in%20chickens&alt=sh

There's another interesting link to vitamin deficiencies and what they may cause herehttp://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/nutrition_and_management_poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby tishie11 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks for that Foehn. I've had a quick look at those articles but will read them more deeply later!

I've only had the perosis situation in newborn chicks. I assume that having free range chickens means they get all they need but of course the ground they range on can get deficient in some things over years I guess.

I am not able to put down such handicapped chicks myself (being a weak woman!) so it is distressing to see them hatch like that. I used to think that the slipped tendon resulted from the process of escaping the egg but I note that later born chicks (more than 1 day over hatch day) are more prone to it - maybe they are weaker?

Anyway I got 15 good chicks and 1 "maybe OK" chick so I'm happy with that out of 20 incubated.
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Return to Hatching & Raising