Woohoo, 2 more broodies

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Woohoo, 2 more broodies

Postby eae » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:21 pm

Getting busy here!

My GLW and other pekin X both went broody last weekend. I've received a dozen faverolles eggs from Appletons and early next week will be getting 10 houdans from a woman in New Plymouth (from the rare breeds site). I now just need to build another maternity coop this weekend.. never had need for 3 at the same time before!

Hopefully these two batches will be a little more successful than the 1/8 RIRs that my other Pekin X is sitting on right now..
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Re: Woohoo, 2 more broodies

Postby Foehn » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:28 pm

Good on your girls. No sign of broodies for me yet, but I have 13 2 week old chicks in the brooder and 40 in the incubator, but expect some of those to be infertile. I've been trying to get some fertile eggs out of two white wyandottes i have, but the rooster absolutely hates them, and attacks them rather than making overtures to them. If he was easy to catch, I might try my hand at AI.
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby wolga » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:16 am

I have 5 hens in prison at the moment and three more are just about to start sitting. :?
wolga

Postby Marina » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:16 am

Yes, bring on the broody season - I've got 5 dozen eggs and 13 spaces in the incubator so a bit of help from the girls would be much appreciated :mrgreen:

I've got 1 hen with 15 three week old chicks and another with 7 plus a few in a brooder so it's definitely all go here - after a very slow start with lots of infertile eggs. However, no hen sitting, waiting for eggs.

eae - 1 out of 8 fertile is not good at all but reflects my experience early this season. Fingers crossed for the Faverolles and Houdans.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Yep - I finally have the broodies I've been wanting so I can get on with hatching some ducklings for the first time - whoop! :)

But now they've started they're probably going to start dropping like flies and I'll have to get the broody prison out because there's only so much space I have for broody mummies! :roll: :lol:
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby eae » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:48 pm

Foehn - that's awful luck with your picky rooster. My little guy is rather indiscriminate.. it never occurred to me that they could be choosy about their attentions.

That's an awful lot of eggs to get through, Marina.. is your super broody still around? Fingers crossed someone will start the trend soon and you can make a dent in that huge pile :lol:

Best of luck with your duckling adventures, Sewren :)
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Return to Hatching & Raising