My incubator's going too!

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

My incubator's going too!

Postby tishie11 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:43 am

I loaded 20 of my own Orpington eggs into the incubator recently - excited about having chicks again!

After 7 days I candled them and 19 are growing! Very pleased with that result for the first lot of eggs. I just hope they all carry on and hatch - and not too many boys!

tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Re: My incubator's going too!

Postby eae » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:42 pm

Excellent :) When is hatch day?
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:46 pm

Whoop whoop - chicks on the way!

Now, can someone do a broody dance at my girls, because I'm itching to get some eggs under them but nothing! In previous years we've normally had one or two broodies by now, but nothing...... :( :roll:
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby tishie11 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:35 pm

eae hatch day is the 25th of September. Will have to candle one more time before then to see how they're doing.

Have you replaced your lost chooks now, and did you find any more?
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby wolga » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:31 am

That's very promising Tishie ! Fingers crossed !
wolga

Postby eae » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:15 pm

Not long now :)

4 of our lot ended up coming home, including our good mother GLW who showed up nearly a month later, so we lost 10 in total. We've since bought 2 wyandotte/pekin crosses and 3 barred rock pullets.. and now have the 8 RIR eggs under one of the pekin cross girls. I've ordered 2 white orpingtons and they should be ready in October sometime. So.. getting the numbers back up. Hopefully later in the season I'll be able to find some eggs/pullets/anything for a couple of other breeds.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sleepinghorse » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:51 pm

One month later! I wonder where she was? Did she look healthy and well fed? Or do you think she had been foraging for herself while away for that month. How intriguing and sad but so happy you got that many back.
1 Barnevelder
3 Plymouth Barred Rocks
1 Orpington
1 Speckled Sussex
1 Brown Leghorn
Visit my blog http://mytinybroodofbackyardchooks.wordpress.com
sleepinghorse
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby eae » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:16 pm

She looked fine, aside from a small scratch on her back which I think was brand new from scooting through our barbed wire boundary fence. She had new feathers on her lower back, in the same area as all the others had injuries/feathers missing, but no major injuries, or if she had them they had healed. I think she had probably been foraging - there is a reasonable amount of bush not far down the road from us and I'm sure she would have been able to eat well in an area like that. She did not want to go into the chicken house that night though, it took Harry about 30 minutes of dancing and calling to shepherd her in.. perhaps she remembered the horrors that happened in there.

We picked up our two new white orpingtons today, they're 9w old and beautiful :)
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Foehn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:43 am

tishie11 wrote:I loaded 20 of my own Orpington eggs into the incubator recently - excited about having chicks again!

After 7 days I candled them and 19 are growing! Very pleased with that result for the first lot of eggs. I just hope they all carry on and hatch - and not too many boys!

Tishie that's an interesting incubator that I've not seen before. I notice you have your temperature set at 37.5. Is that the recommended temp? My incubator recommends 37.7, dropping to 37.4 from day 18. I wonder if my initial rate is a bit too high given I have had the odd failure
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby tishie11 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi Foehn. RCom incubators are pretty good. Yes 37.5 seems to be the widely accepted as the norm for the first 18 days. Then this incubator is programmed to drop to 37C for the last 3 days, but some people don't do that. I can still change any of the set temps or humidity if I want to though.
I think we all have failures in hatching sometimes, even if we do everything right! I guess it's still not the same as using a broody hen.
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Return to Hatching & Raising