What is about the max time a broody can sit..

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

What is about the max time a broody can sit..

Postby eae » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:52 am

Chive has been sitting for about a week and I've been trying to get some eggs to put under her, but am having trouble sourcing the breeds I want. How long can she wait without having been sitting too long by the time the chicks are hatched? If she's been sitting for 2-3 weeks before getting eggs, then another 3w until hatching, will she still be in ok shape or is that too long?

I can probably get some RIR eggs locally fairly quickly if time does become an issue, but ideally was looking for Houdans, Sicillian Buttercups, Faverolles or Golden Campines.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Re: What is about the max time a broody can sit..

Postby Marina » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:08 pm

It depends on your broody. Some eat well while broody, others hardly eat. I would get eggs for her sooner rather than later and with the breeds you'd like it's not easy to get eggs at this time of year as breeders like to hatch for themselves first. With the more common breeds there are breeders out there who produce eggs for selling them so there is a better supply.

I do breed Faverolles but haven't got fertile eggs yet.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Thanks, Marina. Chive seems to get off every day for about an hour. I've seen her on the feeder and going spaz eating grass tips.. I'm not sure if this is good eating or not though.

If I can't get hold of PP tomorrow, I'll go ahead and try and get something locally. I know I may be pushing my luck for eggs at this time of year, but I did want to at least try :) At least I've still got my reliable GLW and no doubt she'll sit several times over the summer.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby eae » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:53 pm

Ok - Chive has been moved to the maternity coop, dusted with flea powder and has settled down nicely in her new straw nest on a bed of pine shavings. I got some RIR eggs locally yesterday and will pop those under her tonight. Hopefully I'll have some luck with the other breeds later in the season :)
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby wolga » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:13 pm

Fabulous ! Fingers crossed ! How many eggs did you get ?
wolga

Postby sewren » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:39 am

Oh yey - good luck chive! :)
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby eae » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:57 am

I've put 8 under her -- she covers them well, and didn't seem to be put off that the plastic eggs she'd been sitting on suddenly turned cold!
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby eae » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Well I candled them tonight, day 6-7. Of 8, only 2 - maybe 3 are showing any development. Quite disappointing. I'll check again in a few days, but I'm not hopeful as 3 have a dark ring through the egg, a large sideways air sac and no sign of blood vessels and 2 just show a sideways air sac and nothing else. I bought eggs from this breeder 2 seasons ago and had 9/10 and 6/6 hatch rates and they are only a 20 min drive from me, so not like they were shipped eggs that have had unknown handling (not meaning to imply this is the breeders fault, I know there are many, many variables). Oh well.. these things happen in nature, just frustrating using up a broody on such a small number. Crossing fingers that those 2-3 continue to grow, and crossing all body parts for hens!
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Foehn » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:21 am

eae wrote:Well I candled them tonight, day 6-7. Of 8, only 2 - maybe 3 are showing any development. Quite disappointing. I'll check again in a few days, but I'm not hopeful as 3 have a dark ring through the egg, a large sideways air sac and no sign of blood vessels and 2 just show a sideways air sac and nothing else. I bought eggs from this breeder 2 seasons ago and had 9/10 and 6/6 hatch rates and they are only a 20 min drive from me, so not like they were shipped eggs that have had unknown handling (not meaning to imply this is the breeders fault, I know there are many, many variables). Oh well.. these things happen in nature, just frustrating using up a broody on such a small number. Crossing fingers that those 2-3 continue to grow, and crossing all body parts for hens!

Fertility issues can as you say, have many variables. I'd be inclined to ring the breeder and discuss. Could be that it's just too early in the season and rooster not fertile enough yet, or, he's getting a bit old and not mating with the hens. I know PP do a fertility check early in the season to see if the fertile egg count is high before they load up their very large incubator. If you know someone who is breeding, you could always pop some day-olds under her as the eggs start to hatch.
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Postby sewren » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Yeah, I was also going to suggest maybe looking around for someone local who might have some day-olds at about the right time if you think you are going to have a small clutch. it might not work out, but if you can find a few day-old chicks to slip under on hatch day then it makes it a bit more worthwhile. I have only done this once, with my very first clutch, when only one chick hatched, and I added 4 day-old chicks. Three turned out to be boys, but it felt like it made it more worthwhile for mum to have a proper troop to look after, if you can get the timing right....
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby eae » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Ahh, getting some day olds is a good idea. I'll just go back to the person I bought the eggs off as she is the only person I know in my area that hatches.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Return to Hatching & Raising