Periodic incubation cooling

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Periodic incubation cooling

Postby wolga » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:08 pm

Has anybody used the periodic cooling function in incubators ? I just loaded my Brinsea with eggs and remembered reading about this function.
They recommend daily cooling periods from day 7 through to 2 days before they hatch. There is a program for this in my incubator settings.
Should I try it ?
wolga

Re: Periodic incubation cooling

Postby nhb » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:24 pm

The only reason I would try it is if I thought or believed it would raise the hatch rate
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby seatil » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:17 am

I used it last year with the first (and only hatch so far) in my Brinsea cabinet incubator. Not enough data to recommend for or against it, but certainly no concerns about it from the results.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:35 am

I guess it's just another function to help mimick what a hen does. When she leaves her nest for the daily poo, feed and drink, her eggs cool down.

Some people are concerned about their incubator not doing exactly the same thing a hen does so that's probably why Brinsea introduced this function. The commercials most definitely don't cool their eggs down during incubation - which mimics incubating eggs in the tropics where the jungle fowl originated. Some people open their incubator to let the eggs cool down and they may forget to close it again and that's where this new function could come in - preventing loss for those people who do the cooling anyway.

My eggs get to cool down twice a week when I refill the water (I have to open the incubator for this and have to remove the egg trays), when I candle the eggs and when I fill up any gaps left by hatched eggs or infertile eggs I have taken out.

I don't think it makes a difference regarding hatch rate whether the eggs cool down or not. It lengthens the incubation period, though, as the egg stops developing as soon as the temperature drops below a certain threshold.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Hatching & Raising