Light Sussex 5wk old chick sexing. Please help

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Light Sussex 5wk old chick sexing. Please help

Postby Kirsty » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi I am new here, I'm trying to work out if my 5 week old light Sussex (could be cross breed) is a boy or girl. He/she was found as an orphaned day old chick and I've raised it hoping it would be a girl. However, I'm a bit worried that I have ended up with a rooster. In which case I would need to find a new home for him as we live in town. We would be sad to see him go and wouldn't want him to be eaten, as is the fate of many roosters. I have a little bit of hope that it could still be a girl??

Thanks for your help

Kirsty
Chick
Chick

Re: Light Sussex 5wk old chick sexing. Please help

Postby Marina » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:04 pm

Hi Kirsty and welcome to PC :D

5 weeks is still a bit young to tell for sure but I have to agree with the 2 breeders you have spoken to that your chick has a roostery look.

If your chick happens to be a purebred Light Sussex (I don't think it is due to the untidy marking on its back and it's shape which should be more plump for a Sussex) it's probably a rooster. However, if a light breed was part of the mix there could still be a chance it's a pullet.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Kirsty » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:28 pm

Thanks Marina! Yes, there could be any combination of breeds in there :). I'll definately keep him/her for a bit longer just to be sure either way. Sometimes I look and think 'yep rooster for sure' and then other times I think there is a bit of a 'hen' look going on. I'm not experienced with chickens though. I guess we will have to cross our fingers! :)
Kirsty
Chick
Chick

Postby Kirsty » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Looks like I have found a home for 'Dotty' on a lifestyle block in Marton should he turn out to be a he :)
Kirsty
Chick
Chick

Return to Hatching & Raising