Last chicks of the season

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Re: Last chicks of the season

Postby Marina » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:29 pm

Sewren, these silver pencilled Wyandottes are stunning! Beautiful birds.

Nice to read that you got a good proportion of pullet's, Kracka - I'm sure you'll still remember this hatch in years to come.

Condolences, Seatil.

My last hatch of the season were 6 Partridge Plymouth Rock Bantams - 3 male, 3 female so can't complain.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Kracka wrote:I just want to skite, of 14 white leghorns hatched, 11 pullets! obviously not as pretty as these SP Wyandottes, but they're brilliant layers

got about 40 eggs due to hatch in the incubator starting tomorrow.... what was I thinking!

Totally agree on the leghorns - mine went through a stage of hiding eggs in the bushes (still not found :shock: ) but once she got back to laying in the nest box she's been ace! Lots of eggs coming your way with 11 of them!! :)
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby wolga » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:02 pm

Lovely birds and super pretty ! So good you got so many pullets.
I've been on rooster overload this season too. Overall I had a close to
70/30 cockerel/pullet ratio this year. :cry:
wolga

Postby Dean » Tue May 10, 2016 7:10 am

Can't wait to see photos kracka.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: Large Silver Pencilled Wyandotte Update

Postby Dean » Tue May 10, 2016 7:12 am

sewren wrote:The chicks are coming up to 10 weeks old now, and are looking so pretty! I can't emphasise enough how delighted I am to have these lovely ladies in my flock! Can't wait to see them all grown up :)

[url=http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/sewren1/media/IMG_1098_zpsyuw5twbs.jpg.html]

They are just beautiful.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby PeckaPecka » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Large Silver Pencilled Wyandotte Update
Postby sewren » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:51 pm

The chicks are coming up to 10 weeks old now, and are looking so pretty! I can't emphasise enough how delighted I am to have these lovely ladies in my flock! Can't wait to see them all grown up :)

First time poster - I hope I get this right :)

I have a 7 week old Silver Pencilled Wyandotte - I don't know if it is a pullet or a roo. In your second phot is the SPW at the back a roo?

I will really appreciate it if someone can help me sex my little one - I desperately hope it is a girl, but I have been told it is a boy :roll:

PeckaPecka
Chick
Chick

Postby sewren » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:53 pm

PeckaPecka wrote:I have a 7 week old Silver Pencilled Wyandotte - I don't know if it is a pullet or a roo. In your second phot is the SPW at the back a roo?

Hi there - yes that is a roo in the pic with the three youngsters. I can't see your photo, but you should be able to tell by now looking at the pattern on the feathers - silver pencilled girls have the classic penciling (close together stripes on the feathers) but the boys have mostly plainer feathers, and some really dark.

Here is a picture with the girl feather pattern on the left and the boy on the right. Fingers crossed for a girl!!

Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby sleepinghorse » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:04 am

Happy new year everyone. I had 6 mixed heritage breed eggs posted from Wellington for my first time Speckled Sussex mum.
She broke two of them by standing them. Two didn't hatch but were fully formed. Two hatched successfully and so far, I think they are both girls. One Plymouth Barred Rock and one Brown Leghorn. They are now 6 weeks old.
1 Barnevelder
3 Plymouth Barred Rocks
1 Orpington
1 Speckled Sussex
1 Brown Leghorn
Visit my blog http://mytinybroodofbackyardchooks.wordpress.com
sleepinghorse
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby PeckaPecka » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:24 pm

sewren wrote:
PeckaPecka wrote:I have a 7 week old Silver Pencilled Wyandotte - I don't know if it is a pullet or a roo. In your second phot is the SPW at the back a roo?

Hi there - yes that is a roo in the pic with the three youngsters. I can't see your photo, but you should be able to tell by now looking at the pattern on the feathers - silver pencilled girls have the classic penciling (close together stripes on the feathers) but the boys have mostly plainer feathers, and some really dark.

Here is a picture with the girl feather pattern on the left and the boy on the right. Fingers crossed for a girl!!
I

Mmmmmm I couldn't seem to get my picture to post and can't work out how to do it. I thought I would be able to insert from my gallery, but it seems I have to use a public site which I don't know how to do! I might have to wait to see if any sickle feathers appear - such a shame as I am very attached to this little one, but isn't it always the way?!
PeckaPecka
Chick
Chick

Postby eae » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:16 pm

If you click on the photo so you see the larger version. Then right click "copy image address", then paste that within the img tags.

I got to the photo just by right clicking on the broken link, copying the link and pasting it into a browser.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby PeckaPecka » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:10 pm

eae wrote:Image

If you click on the photo so you see the larger version. Then right click "copy image address", then paste that within the img tags.

I got to the photo just by right clicking on the broken link, copying the link and pasting it into a browser.

THANK YOU EAE!! :)

So now we have a picture, does anyone have any thoughts on the sex of my 7 week old? :) The feathers don't seeem right for either sex to me, but I am very new at this!
PeckaPecka
Chick
Chick

Postby nhb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:33 pm

The neck feathers suggest pullet to me. But I have my doubts. I am thinking that the tail is showing signs of a young cockeral tail.
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby PeckaPecka » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Thank you very much. I guess time will tell! :D
PeckaPecka
Chick
Chick

Postby sewren » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:44 pm

I'd be leaning towards boy, sorry.... :(
sewren

Postby Kracka » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:48 pm

with your young Wyandotte - what colour fluff did it have as a youngster?
cream/brown with darker brown stripes
or creamy white?

I ask because it doesn't look Silver Pencil to me
I haven't hatched Silver Pencil Wyandottes, but I have hatched SP Pekins and Columbian Pekins
and that looks like an over marked (white) Columbian (or a Columbian x Silver Pencil maybe)

if the baby down colour was creamy white - that's Columbian
if it was cream/brown with darker brown stripes, then that should be a Silver Pencil
Kracka
Emu
Emu

PreviousNext

Return to Hatching & Raising