Last chicks of the season

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Last chicks of the season

Postby sewren » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:49 pm

Chick pics!!! :)

Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Re: Last chicks of the season

Postby seatil » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:59 pm

Wild type chicks... what breed?

I've got a minor (or major now that I've read back on what I typed...) chick explosion about to happen. Had 18 eggs in the rcom 20, then a hen went broody on random eggs. Then I got a shiny new incubator and chucked in 60 eggs, and then found two more broodies. :/
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Kracka » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:57 am

:lol: seatil - that will be an explosion - what's the incubator?

cute chicks, we've got 'quite a few' chooks & ducks free ranging, so far have rounded up 7 ducklings (and Ma) and 2 chickens just recently - there's too many birds to notice one missing (sitting)
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:37 pm

They are large breed silver pencilled wyandottes, so I am quite excited to see how they feather up! And it was a bit traumatic getting them to this point - first time broody who accidentally crushed 4 of the eggs, and 3 of the eggs had large and odd shaped air sacs because I put the eggs under before the air sacs had settled fully (lesson learned with posted eggs!) Luckily ChickyMum lent me her incubator as a backup after I found the first crushed eggs, so I only lost 2 of the 8 eggs through all of those problems - two of the crushed eggs survived and hatched in the incubator with a damp kitchen roll on them (one with a bit of help) and one of the ones with the dodgy air sac needed help because it had got through the membrane but couldn't get to the shell to pip and unzip.

So after all that I think I am done with hatching for the season!! Although I was actually wanting to put some ducks eggs under this broody but couldn't find any locally, so if the stars align I might give ducks a go, but it will probably wait until spring.

Um, yes, I would go with major explosion Seatil! But hey, who can resist a shiny new toy, especially if you have eggs to spare! (Nice new avatar, by the way!)

Kracka wrote:we've got 'quite a few' chooks & ducks free ranging, so far have rounded up 7 ducklings (and Ma) and 2 chickens just recently - there's too many birds to notice one missing (sitting)

We don't have quite that many.....yet!! Since we moved house about 14 months ago we have gone from having 6 chickens to what will be 14 keepers, but there are about another 8 hanging around at the moment that will either be sold or eaten. I wonder if number will continue to expand at this rate next season :?
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby seatil » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:06 pm

Kracka wrote::lol: seatil - that will be an explosion - what's the incubator?

Brinsea Ova Easy 100 with humidity pump. Nice "little" thing. Dead easy and stress free so far. Another couple of weeks to go on the eggs in it though, including 24 posted eggs and as many large breed frizzle eggs as I could muster from our lot (got a waiting list on pullets at the moment).
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby seatil » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:10 pm

sewren wrote:They are large breed silver pencilled wyandottes, so I am quite excited to see how they feather up! And it was a bit traumatic getting them to this point - first time broody who accidentally crushed 4 of the eggs, and 3 of the eggs had large and odd shaped air sacs because I put the eggs under before the air sacs had settled fully (lesson learned with posted eggs!) Luckily ChickyMum lent me her incubator as a backup after I found the first crushed eggs, so I only lost 2 of the 8 eggs through all of those problems - two of the crushed eggs survived and hatched in the incubator with a damp kitchen roll on them (one with a bit of help) and one of the ones with the dodgy air sac needed help because it had got through the membrane but couldn't get to the shell to pip and unzip.

Sounds like a stressful couple of weeks. Good results in the end by the sounds of things. :)

sewren wrote:So after all that I think I am done with hatching for the season!! Although I was actually wanting to put some ducks eggs under this broody but couldn't find any locally, so if the stars align I might give ducks a go, but it will probably wait until spring.

I shipped some duck eggs to Invercargill (from Whangarei) around the end of November to someone that couldn't find anyone anywhere willing to ship silver appleyard eggs. Apparently all bar one hatched. That was one happy customer.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:49 am

seatil wrote:I shipped some duck eggs to Invercargill (from Whangarei) around the end of November to someone that couldn't find anyone anywhere willing to ship silver appleyard eggs. Apparently all bar one hatched. That was one happy customer.

Ooooh - it's silver appleyards that I want! Might have to see if you have any available next time I get a broody!!
sewren

Postby Kracka » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:34 am

Standard sized Silver Pencil Wyandottes aren't very common? Don't think I've ever seen them!
the bantam sized ones, yes, but not the full sized ones
and that matches the chick colour - Silver Pencil Pekins have exactly the same markings as chicks
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Ooh, silver pencilled is one of my favourite markings.... please post pics as they get older :) Glad the initial drama didn't continue and you ended up with a good number of chicks.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:57 pm

Kracka wrote:Standard sized Silver Pencil Wyandottes aren't very common? Don't think I've ever seen them!
the bantam sized ones, yes, but not the full sized ones
and that matches the chick colour - Silver Pencil Pekins have exactly the same markings as chicks

Yeah, Cyd (who is a member here but I haven't seen her around for a while) has been working for years to breed the heavy breed version, as far as I understand it. I've been excited about this breed for about 3 or 4 years now, so I am stoked to finally get my hands on some!

On the chicks - have you ever worked out a way to split boys and girls from their down colour? Would be interested to know if there are any hints!

eae wrote:Ooh, silver pencilled is one of my favourite markings.... please post pics as they get older :) Glad the initial drama didn't continue and you ended up with a good number of chicks.

I can't wait to see how they feather up - I'm sure some will have better markings than others, but I'll make sure to post photos so we can all enjoy the ride ;)
sewren

Postby Kracka » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Brinsea Ova Easy 100 with humidity pump

good incubator! you can get into loads of trouble with that!

with the Wyandottes, I've got some laced bantam sized ones - they're normally standard sized (someone had a bantam sized one but had to cross it with a standard sized one to at least get some eggs, so these are still a work in progress with regards to size) - but they're not as quiet as Pekin bantams!! not so fond of birds flying over my head in the runs! But they are cute!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Large Silver Pencilled Wyandotte Update

Postby sewren » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:51 pm

The chicks are coming up to 10 weeks old now, and are looking so pretty! I can't emphasise enough how delighted I am to have these lovely ladies in my flock! Can't wait to see them all grown up :)

And a feather close up:
sewren

Postby seatil » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:05 pm

Pullet:rooster ratio looking better than mine!

Out of 50 chicks, I had 19 girls (one of which got tangled in a net, and two did death by poisoning) and 31 roosters. New policy is all unsexed and female chicks get to enjoy the creature comforts of the walk-in pen. Only the obvious roosters get to free range.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:52 pm

seatil wrote:Pullet:rooster ratio looking better than mine!

Out of 50 chicks, I had 19 girls (one of which got tangled in a net, and two did death by poisoning) and 31 roosters. New policy is all unsexed and female chicks get to enjoy the creature comforts of the walk-in pen. Only the obvious roosters get to free range.

Oh wow - that sucks!! And typical that the girls ended up knocking themselves off. Overall this year I came out with pullets on top just about - 11 girls to 9 boys from 3 clutches (that's if I leave out the hatch I did for ChickyMum - all 4 of them were boys :( )
sewren

Postby Kracka » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:25 pm

I just want to skite, of 14 white leghorns hatched, 11 pullets! obviously not as pretty as these SP Wyandottes, but they're brilliant layers

got about 40 eggs due to hatch in the incubator starting tomorrow.... what was I thinking!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Next

Return to Hatching & Raising