Wyandotte sexing (aka: confused by rose combs!)

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Wyandotte sexing (aka: confused by rose combs!)

Postby sewren » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:51 pm

My Wyandottes are nearly 7 weeks old and I am still unsure of what sex a few of them are so if you fancy looking at some pictures and putting in your two cents then it would be much appreciated!!

What I've worked out so far is that.....

Both the blue laced reds are girls:

I didn't get a great photo of this one, but I am going for boy:

Silver laced on the left is a girl, silver laced with single comb is a boy (and he still has chick-fluff!! :roll: ):

So I have 3 definite girls (2 blue laced reds and one silver laced - yey!) and 2 definite boys (both silver laced). And here is where I get more unsure:

Here's the silver laced girl again (on the left) with the final silver laced who is in the '?' bracket - I thought it was a boy for ages, but his redness and wattle size seem to be falling behind the other two silver laced boys, so is he just a slow developer, or a possible girl..?

And now we come to the two gold laced, who have had me back and forth with guessing - basically they could be anything depending on who I compare them with! That's one of them on the right in the last pic above, and they're both also in the pic below. They have the same amount of development wattle and redness-wise as the silver laced that I'm unsure about, so again, I thought they were boys for a while, but now I'm not so sure. For both of the gold laced the redness and wattle size is less than the two definite silver laced boys so that leans to girl, but then if I compare them with the two blue laced girls I'd definitely say they were boys. Help!!

Geeze these rose combs are keeping me on my toes - single combs only for me from now on!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Re: Wyandotte sexing (aka: confused by rose combs!)

Postby Kracka » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:32 pm

I'm no rose comb expert
but I would say all your doubtfuls are boys - they may not be as obvious as the two silver laced, but they're much redder

in the last photo you have 3 gold laced ones - the middle one is moving & slightly out of focus, but the comb doesn't look as red
but the one back/left - boy
one front/right - boy

that's my 2 cents worth!!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:08 pm

Cheers Kracka - that's what I was kind of thinking (but desperately hoping not to be the case!!) Oh well, looks like the freezer will be nice and full soon :)

And on the last photo, I should have said that the middle chick is one of the blue laced ones - the colour isn't great on the photos because of the light when I took them.
sewren

Postby Marina » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm with Kracka :cry:

Nice birds, though.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:53 am

Marina wrote:I'm with Kracka :cry:

Nice birds, though.

Yeah, I'm happy with their lacing. The silvers have a wee bit or orp in them (their great grandfather was a splash orp) hence the leg colour, single combed boy, and I assume that also accounts for their stubby little tails compared with the golds! The silvers were definitely slower to feather and seem to be a bit smaller, so maybe that has come from the orp side too.

Now I just have to decide how many of the girls to keep, considering all of my other girls seem to have gone broody this year I might not need as many Wyandottes as I thought I would!! :roll:
sewren

Postby Chookhen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:19 pm

Any hackle feathers?
Chookhen
Quail
Quail

Postby AlisonS » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:06 pm

Last year I raised some Wyandottes and ended up with 4 SLW girls and 2 boys and one of each GLWs. I think I put up photos with the same question at a very similar stage as the boys had wattles of varying sizes. However it was very soon apparent which were boys and which were girls as the boys' combs and wattles got very red and obvious (though still varying in size). So just wait a day or two and it'll be clear!
I found the SLWs quite obviously smaller than the GLWs but I thought it might have been because they were from different breeders.
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:12 pm

Yes, they are 12 weeks old now and very clear which ones are boys, and it was as people said here - 5 boys 3 girls. And we've had a few attempted crows this week so 4 of the boys got the chop this morning - not much meat on them at that age unfortunately!
sewren

Postby AlisonS » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:57 pm

sewren wrote: not much meat on them at that age unfortunately!

Yes, you'd probably want to keep them at least another 4 weeks for a good sized table bird. Did you eat them anyway? They'd kind of be like poussin at that age! One bird each or one between 2.
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:41 am

We haven't eaten any yet but will have a meal tonight - the legs aren't too much smaller than shop ones, but the breasts are tiny. Good job I prefer dark meat! :)
sewren

Return to Hatching & Raising