Funny Looking chick!!!

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Funny Looking chick!!!

Postby Andrea2 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi All, hatching some eggs that a friend gave me and a funny looking chick popped out, it is yellow with a rounded beak and webbed feet!!!! LOL What do I feed it - I have got starter crumble for the chicks - never had a duckling before. Thought the egg looked a bit strange - and it did take awhile to hatch. :lol:
Andrea2
Quail
Quail

Re: Funny Looking chick!!!

Postby Kracka » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:15 pm

that's the opposite of what I did - trying to hatch ducklings and got two White Leghorns!

ducklings love water, its best to only allow them access to shallow water & preferably have it setup so they can't climb into it (like a bell drinker) - but be aware, they dabble in it, emptying it out over the floor (so your brooder will get messy!) - when they have down, its best not to have them swimming, its really easy for them to get water logged and then quickly get cold & die.

they eat the chick start crumble (dry) the same as a chicken, but its recommended that you use non-medicated crumble - ducklings kept in healthy/clean conditions are much less likely to contract coccidiosis so don't need the drug so much and some types of the preventative drug are actually toxic to ducklings - I have used the NRM chick starter with ducklings in the past and didn't notice any unexplained losses (assuming they haven't changed their coxi medication over the years)

I still have my two White Leghorns in with the ducklings - its not ideal, the ducklings mess up the water - I tried separating them on the weekend, but the Leghorns sat there chirping loudly and the ducklings just freaked out & hid in the house :roll:
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Andrea2 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Thanks for that Kracka - much appreciated. Was quite funny - especially when I saw the little duck beak sticking out of the egg! Looks like it will be the only one to hatch tho out of six (pretty dubious beginnings for the eggs). By the way - you have 3 chickens going to Clevedon School Ag Day! They will look pretty small compared to all of the shavers that will be there. Cheers
Andrea2
Quail
Quail

Postby sewren » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:12 am

That must have been a surprise! :)
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby wolga » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:43 pm

Would have loved to see a picture of the little ones.
Must have been quite funny to look at.
wolga

Postby Dean » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:28 am

I gave out 3 day old rescue ducking crumble and every so often mixed in a tiny bit of flaked yeast, a vit they need. I found the duckling liked to eat food that moved. So would sit her in my hand and place the crumble at my wrist, then it rolled towards her and she grabbed it. She pretty soon learnt to eat like the chick we kept to keep her company. At about a 3 weeks old I got a plastic drawer and popped a firewood log in it. The chick used to stand on the log all worried about her friend having a swim. The ducking loved tiny bits of lawn grass floating in the water, ate them up. Before that I just used to give her quick paddles in the bathroom hand basin, because the aren't water proof early on so need very quick swims and drying and warming up again.

Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby sewren » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:40 am

Cute photo! :)
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Dean » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:18 pm

sewren wrote:Cute photo! :)

Bother, can't work out why it chopped off the duckling.

Ah! If you click on it you get the whole picture. Strange.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby seatil » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Dean wrote:

You haven't chopped off the duckling. Your screen is probably not big enough to show the whole picture inside the post. When you click on it photobucket is showing you a shrunk version of the image.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Dean » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:17 pm

seatil wrote:
Dean wrote:

You haven't chopped off the duckling. Your screen is probably not big enough to show the whole picture inside the post. When you click on it photobucket is showing you a shrunk version of the image.
Thanks seatil, just never happened for me before. Oh well, ours is not to reason why....
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Andrea2 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:13 am

Well, we only got one duckling - the others didn't hatch. Bubbles is doing great and I will try and get a photo. I have never seen anything grow so fast. It is huge - not sure of the breed but the lady has Khaki Campbells, Rouens, Indian Runners, Appleyard and Harlequin. So it could be any of those! Great little pet though. I'm in love LOL.
:D
Andrea2
Quail
Quail

Postby Kracka » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:59 am

they do grow super quick
a photo would be great, we can play guess-the-breed then!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Andrea2 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:39 pm

I am quite a funny looking chick - what am I?

Andrea2
Quail
Quail

Postby Kracka » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:30 pm

I crossed a White Runner with a Fawn n White Runner - most of the offspring were white, but I ran on two ducks that had that 'cucumber green bill' - they've developed colour in their feathers, roughly in the pattern of a Fawn n White, but much lighter

so I'm thinking this one might develop some colour as it feathers up
but the body shape doesn't look runner to me
heavier & more horizontally carried - so Pekin & something else with colour? (by all the feather quills maybe a hedgehog? :lol: )
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Andrea2 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:03 pm

I am picking it will be a game of wait and see - by the looks of him (???) it seems that he has grown out of his down too fast - S/He is huge. I will keep you updated on the photos. He seems to have really little wings like the runners but, I agree - too heavy. Colouring doesn't seem to be right for Khaki Campbell. Maybe a barnyard special!
Andrea2
Quail
Quail

Next

Return to Hatching & Raising