Hatching posted eggs

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Hatching posted eggs

Postby Wenz » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi folks, I have always been reluctant to buy eggs for hatching and have them posted, they can be expensive and I had heard the results can be a bit poor, but I wanted to get a new breed so I bit the bullet and bought a dozen Light Sussex eggs from Appletons.

The eggs arrived in only a couple of days ( not bad as we are rural). They were extremely well packaged, one egg had a hairline crack but the others were fine. I decided to leave the cracked one in....it was the first to hatch, a day early. I ended up with 10 healthy chicks. Of the 2 that didn't hatch...1 didn't develop past day 7 and the other didn't make it to pipping. So in case there are other people out there worried about hatching posted eggs, I'm really pleased with the results and will certainly try posted eggs again.

Now, fingers crossed there are some girls :D
Wenz
Quail
Quail

Re: Hatching posted eggs

Postby Marina » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:57 pm

This sounds like a brilliant result, Wenz. Thanks for sharing.

It totally depends on the quality of eggs, their packaging and the outside temperature. You've had a very good result but that's not unheard of at this time of year because it's cool. Once the weather warms up (November or later) posted eggs don't do as well. Just compare two eggs, one from the fridge, one at room temperature, break them into the same bowl. The egg from the fridge is likely to have a nice round firm yolk which is quite sturdy. Not so the egg at room temperature. The yolk sac is much more likely to rupture if it's handled rough.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Wenz » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:28 pm

Thanks Marina, I will definitely store that info :D I really appreciate your input....it always make perfect sense.

Cheers, Wenz
Wenz
Quail
Quail

Postby sewren » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:34 am

Thanks for the info - I am always quite wary of getting posted eggs and try to buy locally if I can - I think part of the problem is that you often only hear the bad results so great to hear the other side of the story too. I'm sure you'll have a few girls out of your 10 chicks - hopefully the ratio will be in your favour!! :)
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Kracka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:49 am

I look at posted eggs as a lottery - could be great, but might not be (but it gives me the chance to get some new genetics at a price I can afford)
I think the health and vitality of the parents is crucial, strong embryo's/chicks can put up with a lot
the only thing I do different with the eggs is let them rest, point down for at least 12 hours before starting incubating (unpack them & put them in an egg carton & then I put them in a cupboard, somewhere quiet ,dark and even temperature - not a hot place)
and prefer to use a clucky hen if I can

and then critically judge what you raise from these eggs - I've had some really healthy chicks grow into some butt ugly birds - and you don't want that added to your genetics, even if they are unrelated!

that reminds me - buy a lotto ticket, could do with chucking in the day job.... :D
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Poulet » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:29 pm

Interesting topic (especially as I currently have Light Sussex eggs from Appletons due to hatch this week, and they were posted to the north island) ;)
I looked over my recent records of shipped eggs - I have hatch rates over 90% from eggs shipped in July, August, September and October. And hatch rates of 50% or below in June, July, September and December. However, the high rates were all in the last three years whereas the low rates were before that, so I'm thinking it's more about me learning how to use the incubator and doing things like resting the eggs after shipping and before incubation - I rest them at least 24 hours even if I suspect the eggs might be a bit old and I'm convinced it works out better to do so.
Poulet
Chick
Chick

Postby Wenz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:20 pm

More useful info...thanks guys :D

Yep I did rest the eggs for 24 hours before putting them in the incubator. After all that travelling it seemed to make sense to allow them to settle.
I would post a photo if I could figure out how.... Those little light Sussex chicks are very cute.
Wenz
Quail
Quail

Postby wolga » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:08 am

Bagheera explained very nicely how to post pictures !

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4668&start=15#p39812
wolga

Postby nhb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:05 pm

I got a dozen eggs down from north of Auckland last season they spent nine days with nz post I sat them for a day put seven under a broody and 5 hatched out , the other 5 went into a incubator and I hatched out
Proud owner and breeder, of North Holland blues and Sicilian buttercups
nhb
Quail
Quail

Return to Hatching & Raising