Chooks not laying!

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Chooks not laying!

Postby Rosaleajs » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:55 pm

I have 5 hens, = 1 Barnevelder (excellent layer, although in moult at the mo), 2 Langshans (excellent layers when not broody or moulting) and 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes. The Wyandottes haven't laid in probably 3 months. One has moulted back in Jan, but has completely regained feathers so is happy and healthy again. They have regular protein, and clean water, and I have also just de-mitted the chook house about a month ago. the Wyandottes are only a year old and laid well up until 3 months ago. Any ideas? Thanks. :?
Rosaleajs
Chick
Chick

Re: Chooks not laying!

Postby Marina » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:43 pm

Wyandottes aren't always great layers. Some chooks have their laying season from September to December and that's it for the year. If they are happy and healthy I wouldn't be concerned.

Sometimes a hen who moulted early has a little surprise in store - she may re-start to lay before winter and lay through winter. If yours don't then maybe they aren't the best layers but they make up for it with being pretty I hope :D
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Wenz » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:05 pm

My Araucana cross girls are free loaders most of the time...even the younger ones. Some haven't layed for months. I have 25 mixed age, mixed breed barnyard Araucana cross hens and currently getting a grand total of 1 sometimes 2 eggs a day. Some seem to have a very short laying season and look for any excuse to stop laying and others continue for a lot longer. I suppose if I want regular layers for a long period I would need a better laying breed like shavers, but I prefer the personality of my mongrel girls. :D I'm just grateful for any eggs I get.....the other half however, always grumbles about the free loaders eating more than they give in return.
Wenz
Quail
Quail

Postby chickenlady1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:21 pm

I was speaking to my friend today....she is concerned about her hens not laying...they are Shavers...first 3 are pullets..she got them in December..laying straight away...then she bought 3 more Shavers..ages un known..in Jan. She has never had 6 eggs a day and some days no eggs at all.
They have the best food and extra protein...a large run and are loved alot.....any ideas please...moulting has finished so is not an issue. Thanks. :roll: :roll: :roll:
chickenlady1
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Kracka » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:45 pm

she's not over fed them?
have you seen/handled them, if they are over fat, it doesn't help them with laying
if they're on the best feed, they might not need the extra protein? (if they've regrown their new feathers)
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Dean » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:32 pm

Wenz wrote:My Araucana cross girls are free loaders most of the time...even the younger ones. Some haven't layed for months. I have 25 mixed age, mixed breed barnyard Araucana cross hens and currently getting a grand total of 1 sometimes 2 eggs a day. Some seem to have a very short laying season and look for any excuse to stop laying and others continue for a lot longer. I suppose if I want regular layers for a long period I would need a better laying breed like shavers, but I prefer the personality of my mongrel girls. :D I'm just grateful for any eggs I get.....the other half however, always grumbles about the free loaders eating more than they give in return.

My Araucanas are no better, odd egg weeks ago, then a run riddled with feathers for days. Seems this hot dry weather has taken its toll, I heard for the egg producers too. All of my 70 hens are affected. I doubt I'll see an Araucana egg till after winter. Fed them dog roll for four days too, to boost them all up.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Return to Hatching & Raising