Speckled Sussex photos (warning photo heavy)

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Re: Speckled Sussex photos (warning photo heavy)

Postby tessg » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:57 pm

I hatched some Speckled Sussex from eggs I brought from a lady near Morrinsville and while they've been slow to mature and difficult to sex they are finally coming along nicely BUT they are nearly 7 months old! Interestingly, they do "honk" and are quite distinctive in their honking compared to all my other chickens. I love these two that I have but I'm not sure I will breed them as I feel they are too slow in maturing and as I mentioned I've debated for nearly all of their 7 months whether they're pullets or cockerels. They have the size and tail of a cockerel but lack comb and wattles. Their feathering is also neither one or the other with some narrow and blunt rounded feathers. They are a nice mahogany colour with speckles etc and appear to be fairly correct but I'm not convinced they are going to be good doers when it comes to laying.
tessg
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:55 pm

The original ones from Robert Bennet are said to be very good layers. Sewren has one - does she lay?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:55 pm

Marina wrote:The original ones from Robert Bennet are said to be very good layers. Sewren has one - does she lay?

She's not laying at the moment but she laid well last year - she was hatched around Christmas 2013, and laid her first egg at the end of August last year so was about 8 months old when she started laying. She was giving me about 4 eggs a week for her first month of laying, then went up to about 5 eggs a week when the weather got warmer (definitely through October and December) but then I got a bit lapse with my records because we moved house, but I'm pretty sure she kept it up at about that rate for the rest of Summer and into Autumn.
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Previous

Return to Hatching & Raising