Barred Plymouth Rock chicks sexing

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Barred Plymouth Rock chicks sexing

Postby bertie944 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:20 am

Hi all!

I've just had 9 barred rock chicks hatch, and have heard that they are sex link so I should be able to tell from the light spots in their heads which are girls and which are boys. But I have forgotten does the spot mean girl or boy? I have 7 out of 9 with spots and knowing my luck they will be boys :-/ have had so many roos this season...
Carly, and chooks Bertie, Jemima, Lucy, Tabitha, Arthur, Eleanor, Bonnie, Picketty, Minnie, Luna, Marama, Florence, Carlotta, Polly Green, Mariette, Maggie Mae, & George ~*Bok bok bokerk!*
bertie944
Chick
Chick

Re: Barred Plymouth Rock chicks sexing

Postby eae » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:37 am

I don't have any experience myself, but here is what I thought to be an interesting post I found when reading about how to sex RIR's... (it is about barred rocks, but I was reading about sexing chicks in general). The general gist of it is that both males and females can have head spots.. and gives you tips on how to further interpret those spots, as well as leg colour and other things.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/798635/sight-sexing-barred-plymouth-rock-chicks-at-hatch
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:40 am

I'm not sure on the spots, but I *think* bigger spots are girls. But there is also something to do with leg colour so you have to look at that too - again, I'm not quite sure and this is from memory, but I think girls have a blacker tinge to their legs but the boys are very yellow. Let us know if that lines up with the head spots!! :?
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby wolga » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:28 am

Have a look at this !
Ups. Same link. Didn't see it
Last edited by wolga on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
wolga

Postby Shoes2468 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:48 pm

My BR's both had black heads with a distinct almost rectangular spot and yellow legs - they are both boys. They have huge combs (much chunkier than the orps) that developed quite young as well. I only put in two BR eggs so I was quite disappointed, next season I will make sure I do at least half a dozen :s. I also read the girls are darker in colouring and the boys lighter, I don't have any females to compare, but from what I've seen this seems to be true.
Shoes2468
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:14 pm

Brilliant link - eae and Wolga - thank you!
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby wolga » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:28 pm

Oooops ! Double link ! Sorry Eae !
wolga

Return to Hatching & Raising