Here be CHICKS!

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Re: Here be CHICKS!

Postby Kracka » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:09 pm

I have a group of White Leghorns strolling round the orchard - the rooster is particularly diligent (including mating any duck that doesn't run fast enough), so the girls have muddy footprints on them! :shock:
they're classified as Mediterranean, the Leghorns, aren't they? is that where the 'hotblood' comes from?
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:05 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure about the likelihood of her staying white for long, but that doesn't bother me if she lays well!!

I also put a pic of her on facebook and asked for name ideas and had over 60 suggestions from my friends (well, 60 sensible ones, anyway!) so she is now called Peggy, and I have a massive list of chook-suitable names which should last me a few years! :)

wolga wrote:I've had a bit more luck with my March hatch. Got five boys and 12 pullets. :lol:

JEALOUS!! Oh well, at least I am in a position now with out property where I can hatch as soon as the indomitable Pea goes broody again, although I think it's about time I hatch some broody-inclined breeds because I really rely on her to keep my hatches going and she must be getting on a bit now (I think I've had her for nearly 3 years and I'm not sure how old she was when I got her). Normally I think I'm lucky that my orpington and sussex girls don't go broody, but I'm starting to get a bit worried that I might be left without an incubator! Plus, if I get a few that go broody I can hatch even more, and maybe get through that list of names a bit quicker ;)
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Marina » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:50 am

sewren wrote: if I get a few that go broody I can hatch even more, and maybe get through that list of names a bit quicker ;)

Excellent idea!

We've got a banty who'll be in her 14th laying season soon. Currently she is looking after her 39th clutch of chicks.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:43 pm

Marina wrote:We've got a banty who'll be in her 14th laying season soon. Currently she is looking after her 39th clutch of chicks.

Wow - what a trooper!! :shock:

Pea has only done 4 clutches for me, but I know she was bought by someone else with chicks so has raised at least 5 lots. She has a wee way to go to beat your banty (but I accept the challenge - ha ha!!) :lol:
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Previous

Return to Hatching & Raising