Eprinex for chickens

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Eprinex for chickens

Postby finkies1 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:12 pm

here's something intersting, having had an issue with crawlies on my chickens, not sure whether bought in by purchased birds that had originally been isolated, or from wild birds, it got bad enough for me to notice tht my chickens were looking a little anaemic, so I decided to try something. I wiped the aprinex syringe along each of their backs, interestingly enough the change was huge over 24 hours! they started lookingand feeding better, and seemed to handle the eprinex just fine. these are small chicks less than a month old I might add, they are all nice and healthy now and plump, so I have been dong ALL my chickens no matter what the age with this stuff. There is no stand down period according to the box. It was definietly an experiement at the start but now I do it as a matter of course, and have lovely healthy chickens, I also pestene their bottoms, everything helps, I haven't found Smite to be much use, not sure how long it takes to work however, but have it as a back up as I currently have no diatom. Has anyone else out there used eprinex on their chickens to eradicate mites, lice etc?
Wyandottes
Oxford OEG
Minorcas
Araucanas
Pekins
Rosecombs
Sebrights
RIR
Hamburgs
finkies1
Quail
Quail

Re: Eprinex for chickens

Postby Kracka » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:30 pm

yes I have
I'm afraid I'm not much of a greeny when it comes to fighting mites - I'll use anything if it will work
the only thing that makes me ponder - it only kills the mite after its taken a feed - so if you've got a heavy infestation, all those mites must bite a chicken before they die
and I wouldn't want to be in that run waiting for them all to have their last feed! :shock:

BUT it is nice and easy to use - I sneak around after dark, armed with a torch, bottle of Eprinex and the syringe - I try to squirt it under their wing (more skin available and I've had Eprinex cause the feathers to twist & grow in a funny direction, so squirted onto the back of their neck isn't always good when they're about to go to a show) - but at this time of the year, when mites are always a problem (for my lot anyway) - its a squirt just about anywhere, so long as I can reach them

there's no handling the birds, squawking or flapping
hopefully I don't pickup any freeloaders (I DON'T like creepy crawlies up my arms)
and it'll fix any scaley leg mites, mites, lice, worms?? not sure on that, but it knocks a lot of things out
but there's a fair bit of debate on the withholding period for eggs though....
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby henny » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:57 pm

According to the cardboard box of my eprinex - milk from treated cows may be used for human consumption at any time following treatment with ivomec eprinex pour on! I would assume from such a bold statement that there would be no problems with eggs - but - what the heck - you can go with out eggs for a week!!!!! (just in case you are worried about it) Eprinex is fantastic on the farm - we use it for anything that moves! When we drench the cattle we drench everything else pigs, sheep and goats - although not had to drench chickens as ours spend more time in the paddock than your usual chook - I am pleased you had such a good result on your chickens and that they are well again!
henny
Quail
Quail

Postby finkies1 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:16 pm

that's intersting about the feathers twisting Kracka, I will keep an eye out for that as I have been putting the drops anywhere on their back or on the back of their necks inthe dark and with a torch like you do. I'm having a bit of an issue trying to totally eradicate these little baby lice, i thought I had completly sorted it, but one or two babies that are so tiny it's hard for tbe human eye to see have appeared on my hands while handling them. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to do. Some of my chickens - about 50% of them roost up the trees at the moment so it's hard to treat everything, but as I feed them each day I take out the syringe and grab one or two and give them a good dose. I also have discovered a link between feather pulling out (some of the birds that I got in were heavily stripped of their feathers on their backs) and when I watched them they were pulling them out themselves, probably trying to get rid of the lice I would imagine. Anyway, once I dosed them, it stopped, and the feathers started growing back and they put on weight and were much more contented. I'm pretty annoyed about even having these little blighters as I had absoluetly none until I got these feather pulled ones in. I've tried Diatom, but have too many chickens to use that in any great amount, and besides that when I put it in their houses they simply stayed right away from it and wouldn't have a dust bath in it at all when I put it in their favourite dust bath hole! We have completely cleaned out houses with dettol sprayed throughout too and the little blighters still hang in there. Eprinex seems to be the only thing that I can stop it with, then after a couple of weeks some must hatch and away we go again. I guess it's a bit of a bonus, I don't have hardly any issue with red mite, just these very tiny little lice.
Wyandottes
Oxford OEG
Minorcas
Araucanas
Pekins
Rosecombs
Sebrights
RIR
Hamburgs
finkies1
Quail
Quail

Postby chickenlady1 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi there ..I have that pour on...but you havent mentioned the dose...I only have pint size Banties...and from reading..really sounds like a great idea...sneaking out at night...with no hassels.
Hear back from you please. :) :) :)
chickenlady1
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Kracka » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:17 am

I think its 0.1ml per 1 kg of chicken - this is for the pour on Eprinex
but then I found an item that says 0.1ml per 4kg
and then another that talks about the number of drops per bird

now in the dark, I don't get time to check my syringe after every bird (or watch the number of drops) - once I've lifted the lid its a race to get them all dosed
I'm using a 1ml syringe and I just 'feel' how much I've depressed the stopper & then move on - so I'm picking there's a good tolerance for overdosing.

I'm running on theory that I'm probably overdosing, but not to a point that appears to do any harm - so I'm wasting the Eprinex but the 250ml bottle normally expires before I finish it anyway
Underdosing would be worse (IMO) as it could well breed you a set of parasites that can become tolerant to it.

just did an Eprinex run last night & found one sitting hen with a face full of mites - so just as well I did it (I dusted her as well) - I'd rather dust a sitting hen than run the risk of losing her & if the nest is infested when the chicks hatch the mites climb into the half open egg & attack the chicks too :o :shock:
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby chickenlady1 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:45 am

Hi there...thanks for the dosage...big clean up this coming weekend...shutting down houses one at a time...so I can move chookens into "sanitised" house when they have been "sanitised" as well.

Hey everyone out there...HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL :D :D :D :D And thanks all for your help since I joined... :lol: :lol:
chickenlady1
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby finkies1 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi there, I use one small drop (or alternatively wipe the syringe along their backs), for 3 week old chickens with no issues, make sure it's only one drop for them tho, then for older or 6 week old chickens I sometimes use two small drops, for bantams I use two drops, for larger breeds I use 2-3 drops, I would not use any more than this under any circumstances, uless it's a ginormouse Coronation Sussex or a RIR. this alsong with a dusting of pestene on all chickens including those only a few weeks old seems to work fantastically well.
Wyandottes
Oxford OEG
Minorcas
Araucanas
Pekins
Rosecombs
Sebrights
RIR
Hamburgs
finkies1
Quail
Quail

Postby Calliope137 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:44 am

I was recently advised by my vet - unofficially - to use Eprinex to kill Northern Fowl Mites on my chooks & chickens.
She recommended 3 drops for bantam size, and 5 drops for bigger chooks, onto the bare skin patch under their wings.
Apparently this works by pervading the chooks' bodies & killing any biting mites/lice etc. Eprinex would NOT kill internal parasites, which required a separate treatment. Sensible to do this at the same time as Eprinex to share the withholding period for eggs of 7 days after treatment.
Also recommended spraying runs & houses and anywhere they had been sheltering/dustbathing with Ripcord. But keep chooks off for a day or two after Ripcord until it has evaporated properly.
She said this would also kill other pests, like lice, & the Red Mite, which hangs out and breeds in crevices on the perches etc during the daytime, coming out at night to feed. Whereas the Northern Fowl Mite does it full life cycle on the chook, only dropping off into bedding, dust etc to find new vectors. But it needs to be on a bird to breed.

I forgot to ask her how long the Eprinex continues to kill mites etc after treatment - how long is it effective for? And how often is it safe to treat the chooks with it? Does anyone out there in the Forum ether know?

While treating my 60-odd chooks, I was grappling with the large rooster (Faverolle/X) who managed to kick the syringe out of my hand, spraying Eprinex onto a bare arm above the rubber gloves. I rubbed it off, and washed a bit later when I could get to water, and wondered how effective I would be now at killing the mites that crawl up my gumboots when I go in the henhouses. They are REALLY bad when they get into your EAR! aaargh!
Calliope137
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi Calliope and a very warm welcome to PC.

Eprinex has a 6 week egg and meat witholding period for chickens as it's being used off-label which means no-one ever has measured how much residue there still is after 1,2,3, etc weeks. And this is also the erason why the advice from your vet was unofficial. Eprinex is a wormer for cattle and sheep so I'm very surprised your vet said it doesn't work on worms in chickens. It's registered as a broad spectrum endectocide which means something that kills internal parasites.

Mites (what you call the Northern Fowl Mite which is a longer and more exact name) live in the cracks and crevices of chook houses. Once this is all populated they also live in the litter and in the nesting material. At night they wander along the walls and perches, up the legs of chooks to suck their blood. Once fed they wander back to their cracks and crevices where they spend most of their lives and also breed.

You may have mixed up mites with lice. Lice do indeed spend their whole life cycle on birds.

if the mites are crawling up your legs you have a mega infestation. They probably are in the litter and in the nesting material as well. There is no way of killing them. You have to take all the litter away, preferrably in airtight plastic bags.

If you treat your chooks with Eprinex the mites who suck their blood on day 2 to 3 after treatment will likely be killed. But please consider that each and every mite has to have one meal from your chooks to get killed. Young mites that hatch after treatment won't be killed and there will be millions. Some mite populations have shown resistance to both Ripchord and Eprinex.

So Ripchord is your weapon of choice. I wouldn't even bother with Eprinex. If you keep your chooks outside their house until the Ripchord has dried there won't be any witholding period.

I use the dog flea powder from The Warehouse. Some supermarkets sell it, too. Diatomaceous Earth is another weapon against lice and mites. It matters a lot where you buy it from. I can recommend www.poultrynz.com I wouldn't go for the DE in fancy packaging. I think it's diluted as it's not effective. Mites can't develop resistance to DE.

And no, there is no danger to you from a drop of Eprinex. Mites can't pierce human skin (although some people insist they have been bitten by mites. My skin is thick enough for them to be unsuccessful :mrgreen: )
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Calliope137 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:32 pm

Thankyou Marina for your helpful reply.
I am puzzled by one part of it. All research I have done so far describes 2 species of poultry mites. You have described the red poultry mite, that lives & breeds in crevices on the perches etc, and comes out at night to feed on the birds. Whereas the Northern Fowl Mite is very slightly larger than the red mite - moves MUCH faster! - and does only breed on the birds' feathers. Supposedly it can live up to 2 weeks without feeding but then dies. There are images online of it, and of grey clusters of eggs on the fluffy feather bases, especially near the bird's vent. Some yays & nays about all this - it should be easier to stop a massive outbreak like the one we are experiencing, that a red mite outbreak. We seem to have them too, but not like the NFM's millions . . . a nay is the fact that being bigger they certainly do bite - I have a rash reaction to the bites around my ankles that occurred before I realised what we are dealing with. I have felt a sharp bite on my face and removed the mite as it was biting. But according to the science they cannot survive to breed on any blood but a bird's. Another nay is that they are on different species of birds - the sparrows that come to share the chook feed will reinfest my flock - hence the query about how soon can I safely repeat the treatment. Whereas the red mite is perch-specific and needs toxic inundation of all hiding places.
I agree about the ripcord. A problem I have is that the 60-odd chooks that live here are mostly free-ranging. While they have several chook houses which most lay eggs, and roost in at night - but not all - they have roamed and infested a lot of places around my home & yard - the sheds, the carport, the cowmilking area, and anywhere there is dust or dusty gravel where they dust bathe, and shelter from rain, hot sun, and predatory hawks. While I have sprayed many of these places, mostly at night, it causes serious risks for the bees, whose hives share the space with all of us!
Mite management definitely justifies having chooks contained in good houses and runs. But the birds so enjoy being out free, eating insects - they roam the perimeter of my fenced food garden, eating many pests, and they follow the cow and horse around spreading manure out across the pasture while they find undigested grains and internal parasites - they are part of an integrated whole system. Until this week, an organic system! I have had chooks for nearly 70 years, and never experienced this sort of mite epidemic before . .

It has also been interesting to see that all the chooks have looked healthy, vigorous, and continue to lay in spite of the outbreak. While treating them individually I noticed that only a few seemed heavily infested, with visible eggs on feathers. There seemed to be a fairly even spread of lice in the flock. I shall get back to the vet after new year to ask again about the internal parasites - she did say Eprinex works differently on birds and mammals, (eg no withholding period for meat on cattle), and did say it would not kill the birds' internal parasites or the tiny leg scale mites.
Thankyou all for this site - it is great to be able see what others are doing. Cheers, and HAPPY XMAS!
Calliope137
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:31 am

Hmm - I just did some googling, too, and have come to the conclusion that I've never encountered NFM. I didn't even know they are here. I've got red mites and I've seen the shaft mite at other places.

I'm in Christchurch and have had chooks for some 25 years. The red mite problem has only taken hold some 15 years ago - before that I've never had a problem.

So thank you for the info about this new parasite that is infesting our chooks.

I'd get the dog flea powder from The Warehouse and treat all chooks maybe every second day for 2 weeks. That should give each and every mite and their offspring an opportunity to be exposed to a good dose of the flea powder. You can never eradicate them completely (because of the wild birds - as you point out).

I actually just sprinkle the powder onto their backs while they roost and after a few minutes they have incorporated it into their plumage.

If there is a chook with a heavy lice infestation I put her into a feed bag (in the evening when it's cooler), pour a good dose of the powder onto her back and leave her in there for 30 minutes. That has never failed to kill them all. If those NFMs live on the chooks that should do, too.

DE is very good, too, but it's difficult to get the real stuff - most is diluted and many people say hitting the mites with the packaging is more effective than smothering them in the powder.

The Ripchord is only effective against red mites, not lice and other pests that live on the chooks. The mites have to walk along the treated timber to get a dose of the insecticide. I've bought a packet once but when I read how poisonous it is (wear protective gear etc) I didn't use it.

Not sure about how Eprinex works on worms in chooks. I use coarsely chopped pumpkin seeds (the green ones from the bulk food department at the supermarket) as a preventative. I mix it in with their food. There are little hooks on those seeds which paralyze the worms (roundworms in particular) and they are excreted the natural way. But it just doesn't make sense that it wouldn't treat worms. Flubenol is a wormer for chooks without egg withholding period. Aviverm has 2 weeks withholding period I think - it should state this on the bottle. If your chooks are free ranging, worms shouldn't be a problem and I would only treat if I saw worms in their droppings. I've never seen a worm in any of my chooks and I have lots of chooks.

My chooks were organic until 5 or 6 years ago when the organic chook food prices went through the roof. I paid 3 times as much for the organic food as for the conventional food. I now try to avoid the GM soy based feeds.

BTW - the upkeep of this forum is paid for by the Christchurch Poultry, Bantam and Pigeon Club and the moderators are all volunteers who are happy to share their experience.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:42 am

Marina - do you withold eggs at all while doing the flea powder treatment?
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

No, I don't withold eggs as the treatment is not systemic like Eprinex. Pestene was a lice treatment powder registered for chooks and the the ingredients were very similar to what's in that flea powder - pyrethrum based.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:56 pm

Excellent, that's good to know. I've been using the flea powder on sitting hens before I give them eggs, but hadn't used it on the rest of the flock. I've still got about 3/4 of a bottle of Pestene that I carefully use when needed and I wasn't sure what to move on to when that ran out. Although, knock wood, I don't seem to have a big mite/lice problem. I do dust them (with a mix of Pestene and DE) in November when it starts to warm up, and again in February. In between if needed, although only the odd bird has needed it between treatments. Well, except for leg mites which I've got a few with right now.. I just gum them up with vaseline with pestene and DE mixed in. Seems to work well.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Next

Return to Hatching & Raising