JN12 incubator - I Think I've Mucked Things Up! Please Help

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Re: JN12 incubator - I Think I've Mucked Things Up! Please

Postby roobz316 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:25 pm

How far through are your eggs frankiefarm? Its always a good idea to have and independant hygrometer and temp probe just in case the settings on the incubator are off.
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:29 pm

Don't worry too much about humidity. Some people have good success with dry incubation.

I just see you are in Hamilton. Checked the Metservice web site and it says 'humidity 96%'. Even if your incubator is inside and it's drier inside you'll have enough humidity in your incubator for your eggs to not dry out. When hatching time comes it might be necessary to increase humidity. Let us know when this is due to happen and I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions on how to achieve this.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby frankiefarm » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:34 pm

Your a legend marina, thank you. Havent got eggs in yet, just making sure i get my settings right. Temp on incubator says 38 degrees and one i put in there says 35. The instructions my as well be in chinese. Will let you know how i get on
frankiefarm
Chick
Chick

Postby frankiefarm » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:39 am

Been thinking about how to raise humidity when i reach day 18 as this machine has no humidity control(or does it) do you think i could add more water at this stage?

Thanks
frankiefarm
Chick
Chick

Postby beachgranny » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:49 am

Hi Frankie

Check out Bill Worrell dry incubation on our friend google. I don't add water in Dunedin and have pretty good hatches.

Have fun!
beachgranny
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:06 am

With the dry incubation it depends a bit on where you have your incubator. Mine is in the kitchen (!) where we also have our woodburner (not an ideal house set-up but that's what it was when we bought it) and the air there is quite dry so dry incubation won't work for me. In winter I fill up 2 to 3 of 4 water containers and in summer, when we don't use the woodburner, I use 1 or 2.

If the incubator is in an unheated room dry incubation works in high humidity areas.

Beachgranny - I'd be interested to know where your incubator is as you are in the deep south of NZ where it's a lot cooler than in Hamilton.

Frankiefarm - an additional saucer filled with water at the bottom of the incubator will do to up the humidity during hatching.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby beachgranny » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:41 am

Hi Marina

My incubator is in a concrete block 'dungeon' spare room off our garage. I have a very small oil heater during the incubating and humidity sits at 50% in the room. I never check the incubator humidity though. From memory the dry incubation humidity is the relative(room) humidity. I am trialling some eggs in the forced air and the still air incubators at this time.
beachgranny
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:46 am

That sounds like an ideal set-up for dry incubation, Beachgranny. I assume humidity generally is a bit higher in your neck of the woods than here in Canterbury where it's often in the low twenties during a norwester. Such norwesters are very common during spring. Add a bit of heating and any dry incubated chicks will stick to their shells.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby thailand » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi again,

Are we all still talking about the JN12 incubator, or incubators in general?

I'm considering doing a dry hatch this next time....but my humidity here at the moment hovers around 70% in the environment. Measuring inside the incubator it's around 30-40%.

I've decided to put aside my experiment with the plasticine egg and just go with the incubator temperature tweakings stated previously. At least it has shown me that I don't need to stress if the temperature rises to 38 or so. Using the mercury thermometers the temp seems to be holding between 37.4 and 37.9, so I figure this will likely be ok.

Looking forward to setting eggs in a week or so. :)
thailand
Chick
Chick

Postby frankiefarm » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks heaps everyone. My jn12 is calibrated. What a fiasco! But finally temps match. Im not guna stress bout humidity, just figure ill put 100mls in when needed. Fingers x
frankiefarm
Chick
Chick

Postby dunk8888 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:02 am

Hi LS and HS is just a setting wich locks the temp high and low settings,if you put 38 as low setting you wont be able to set the tempreture below that setting AND 39 as HS then you cant ajust higher than that HS set tempreture.its just so you can lock the temp in so no one comes along and presses up or down and change the temp by accident.
put HS 40 and LS 30 then you can ajust between that temp.
CA is calabration,leave it 0 IF YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE THE TEMP IS READING CORRECT/USE ANOTHER TEMP SENSOR OR TWO AND SEE IF IT MACHES UP THEN AJUST UP OR DOWN TO MACH,BUT YOU NEED TO KNOW THAT THEY ARE CORRECT TOO!
AH and AL is alarm wich flashes the led display if its below or higher than AL OR AH set tempreture,normaly this flashes when you take incubator lid off, the temp will go down reading LOW ALARM.
HU is heat up- wich is heating element setting-its max heat setting like element full power,these both go to 90, leave them around 25 to 30 just leave these.
HD is heat down-wich is heating element off setting-it the lowest cool down setting.I think it ajusts the constant low on setting,i think the heating stays on low when the incubator switches it off,and when it heats back up HU ajusts how much it heats up.
If your incubator doesnt keep to a set tempreture,say its cold and the incubator canbt keep up,you higher these so its able to,this ime not 100% sure but ime close i think.
Hope this helps any one.
Dunk
dunk8888
Chick
Chick

Previous

Return to Hatching & Raising