JN12 incubator - I Think I've Mucked Things Up! Please Help

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

JN12 incubator - I Think I've Mucked Things Up! Please Help

Postby thailand » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm trying to set my Jn12 up for my first try at hatching. (Bought it this year off Trade Me). The instructions are useless.

Could someone please give me some straightforward instructions on setting this up correctly. The digital display on the machine is showing 38.0 celcius, an independent digital thermometer with a probe is showing 37.2 celcius and a digital medical thermometer is showing 36.1 celcius. Which one do I trust, and do I need to alter the temperature setting on the incubator itself to match whichever is decided to be the correct reading??

I set the HS upper limit to 39.5 celcius and the HL lower limit to 30.9 celcius. Humidity is set at 55 %.

I may have mucked things up fooling around with setting HS/HL limits :roll: ..... Please advise.

All help/tips GREATLY appreciated.

Many thanks
thailand
Chick
Chick

Re: JN12 incubator - I Think I've Mucked Things Up! Please

Postby nzguernseygirl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:56 pm

honestly take it to an electrician with the instructions. they will re calibrate it for you
nzguernseygirl
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby thailand » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks nzguernseygirl....trouble is I live in Thailand and I really wouldn't want to trust someone here to fix it...it'd probably end up much worse!
thailand
Chick
Chick

Postby roobz316 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Ive got a jn7-56 and had the same issues when I first started, I assume the setting up of it is the same. I don't trust the temp setting at all and go by an independent temp probe. Although I had issues with different readings from 3 different thermometers (the incubator setting was about 1.5C out from the highest temp) I just figured somewhere in the middle was about right. You are better off running it at a lower temp and have them hatch a day later than having it slightly too hot. I have the probes sitting on top of the eggs. To be honest you may have a few bad hatches till you are able to figure out what works for you. What breeds are you thinking of incubating? Anything we don't have in NZ? My vision of chickens in Thailand is them been in a cage on the back of a pushbike going to or from the markets lol
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby thailand » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your encouragement. :)

I'm wanting to hatch Brahma chicks. Mine free-range as much as possible (but have had a number die of avian malaria already to have to be careful with free-ranging!). Below is a couple of photos - one of the roosters I recently lost to malaria and the hen I still have and am hoping to breed from shortly with new young cockeral. (Don't know if I can insert a photo correctly or not....but here goes)....

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv48/angelathailand/DSCF4565.jpg

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv48/angelathailand/DSCF4560.jpg
thailand
Chick
Chick

Postby frankiefarm » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:31 pm

Hey there,

was wondering how you set humidity on jn12?
frankiefarm
Chick
Chick

Postby thailand » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi,

Update: I've had one lot of chicks hatch since my last post. Out of 5 live chicks, 1 was born with splayed legs (fixed now), but went on to develop seriously deformed twisted legs and now at 5 months old cannot stand or walk. Another chick, at around 3-4 weeks old suddenly had one leg sticking out almost sideways. This 2nd chick can stand, walk and is otherwise a normal and healthy chick, but does walk with a limp and when running, kinda fast hops! The remaining 3 chicks are all normal.

This is a long post - sorry - it's an attempt to help me keep track of what I've done that's worked/what hasn't worked, as well as hopefully hope any new owners of this brand incubator.

I am now about to embark on my 2nd try at hatching, hoping I've learnt a few things along the way. I decided that the leg problems above were one of 2 things: wrong settings on the incubator (too hot or cold), or nutritional deficiencies in the parent stock. I've researched heaps and have changed the way I now feed my chickens, so hopefully they are now nutritionally 'at the top of their game' when it comes to food!

The eggs I intend incubating next will not however be from my own stock. I'm wanting to add some new breeds, so will hopefully be hatching RIR's and BPR's. Because of this, I won't in this instance be able to see if nutrition problems were indeed the problem with the last hatch or not.

That being the case, I'm moving onto theory no. 2 - wrong incubation settings.

What I have now done with my incubator:

a) Put the digital temperature reading back to the factory set default reading of 38 degrees C.

b) Decided to trust my 2 x mercury medical thermometers of which the readings on both are pretty close....maybe 0.1 or 0.2 degree apart, sometimes spot on.

c) Placed these two medical thermometers in my incubator and attempted to calibrate the digital temperature on the actual incubator. Here's how I've done it:
* Push set for 3 seconds, push + or - until the CA code appears.
* Push - (minus) until reach the following on the screen (-0.5)

This adjustment value has now proven to equal my 2 medical mercury thermometers at a reading of 37.5-37.7 for the internal incubator temperature.

Please note: This -0.5 adjustment appears to be correct for my particular machine in my particular part of the world (Thailand). Anyone else may need a different value adjustment, and it could be + or -. My suggestion is to try different directions/values (that's what I did), and test your thermometers against this, of course waiting long enough to let the machine sit at any new setting for a bit before deciding it's not yet right.

The other settings, including humidity, were left at factory settings as follows:
HD= 25
HU= 37
HS= 38
LA= 37
Factory set AH= 0.8
Factory set AL= 0.5

So, what all this means, is that although my incubator reads 38 degrees Celsius, the readings on my 2 x mercury medical thermometers inside the incubator tell me that the inside temperature is actually 37.5 -37.7 degrees C. I am happy with this.

Further, I am fiddling a bit more as I type this.....I am now wanting to check the 'internal' temperature of any potential egg with the new settings I've made.

I have made a fake egg out of plasticine and have inserted the probe of a separate digital thermometer into the center. Because my digital probe thermometer always has a different reading to the 2 mercury thermometers above, I'm wanting to calibrate this digital one to the two mercuries. So, I'm taking severals readings over the next couple of days and comparing temps. This will tell me how much the digital probe is 'off' by and I can then make mental adjustments.

Today, I had a heat spike of 38.8 on the incubator screen....in the past, this would have freaked me out....but with my plasticine egg it was still reading only 35.3 C. (yes, that's too low...should be 37.7 C internal egg temperature). It means that my fake egg hasn't been cooked as I might have once thought. Note to self: I may need to increase the CA value some more yet in order to reach the 'sweet spot' of 37.7 C internal egg temperature.

If anyone has any thoughts on my ramblings....I'd love to hear from you! :D
thailand
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:20 pm

I like your experiment with the plasticine egg. Keep us posted about how your hatch goes. My hunch would be to rather go 37.3 to 37.5 than 37.5 to 37.7 but you'll see how your hatch goes. Best of luck!
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:40 am

I've nothing to add to your ramblings, other than keep them up! Santa has decided to come early and I have an incubator en route to my place as I type. :D Being the geeky type of person I am, I'm reading up on everything and anything related to incubation.

You now have me wondering what the thermal conductivity of plasticine is compared to an egg. ;-)
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:05 am

Thermal conductivity should only affect the time it takes for the whole egg to be warmed up to the incubator temperature, not the actual temperature it will reach. The lower the thermal conductivity the longer it will take to warm up.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:24 am

I was thinking about thermal conductivity in the context of temperature fluctations, such as that caused by a heat spike, where the time taken to react to the change in temperature is of interest. I suspect the difference in practice between and egg and plasticine is small enough that it's not worth worrying about - not least because of the relatively small radius of the egg and the chick doesn't spend the whole three weeks sitting in a tiny dot at the exact centre of the egg.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:48 am

seatil wrote:I was thinking about thermal conductivity in the context of temperature fluctations, such as that caused by a heat spike, where the time taken to react to the change in temperature is of interest.

That's definitely the application of thermal conductivity. The lower the TC the longer it takes for the change to affect the whole egg. I'm pretty sure the TC of plasticine is a lot lower than that of water. There is a direct relationship between thermal and electrical conductivity which means that most good conductors of electricity also conduct heat well and the reverse also is usually the case.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby frankiefarm » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:56 pm

Jeebers my hu says 30 and hd 26 i havent touched that because the manual says not too- freaking out now. Do you think i should change it.
frankiefarm
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Change what? Temperature? Humidity?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby frankiefarm » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:15 pm

Humidity!