Blind chick

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Blind chick

Postby Kevandmum » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi
The last chick to hatch from our latest batch appears to be blind. It has a small white spot on each eye. It doesn't respond to the usual visual things and doesn't find food /water. It doesn't peck. I've been feeding it raw egg yolk (water too) from a dropper which it seems to like but anything more solid gets flicked away.
The other chicks are about twice the size at less than a week. Has anyone tried raising a blind chick? How to get it eating chick starter? How long can it be on egg yolk? It would be helpful if it learned to peck .
Kevandmum
Chick
Chick

Re: Blind chick

Postby Marina » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:09 pm

I have raised a blind chick many years ago but it did peck randomly at whatever was in front of it. It ended up about half the size of its siblings and eventually died - and never laid an egg.

On egg yolk alone your chick's kidneys will fail within a few weeks and will probably be irreversibly damaged after a couple of weeks. The high protein content is not good for it long term.

The outlook is not good but I can understand that you want to do what you think is best for your wee chick. It may be deaf, too, as I think the blind chick we had must ave heard the sound of pecking and replicated it.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Kevandmum » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi

Thanks Marina.
I’m not sure if the hearing of the little chick is affected or not. It seems to react if the others get disturbed. The good news is that it started pecking randomly and is getting better at eating. I changed the food to my mushy chick starter with a bit of avocado for extra calories. Today it gained 3 grams. I don’t know how this will go but for the moment I’m giving it a chance.
Kevandmum
Chick
Chick

Postby Kevandmum » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:29 pm

Update on the blind chick at 16 days. It is finding food and water in the brooder by itself and is gaining weight at a normal rate. There is a big size difference but the other chicks are fine with it so far. It is quite a relief that it can manage now.
Kevandmum
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:41 pm

That's really good news! So maybe it does hear, otherwise it wouldn't know when food is about.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Hatching & Raising