Westons have a Game Bird Crumble!!

Do you need information on incubation, hatching or raising? Post here!

Westons have a Game Bird Crumble!!

Postby Marina » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:12 pm

A couple of weeks ago I was told at Dawes where I buy my chook food that Westons now manufacture a Game Bird Crumble with 20% protein. The normal chick starter is formulated for commercial hybrids and not exactly ideal for the heavy breeds I have. I have trialled this feed instead of chick starter for all my chicks, day-old to 4 months old, for 2 weeks now. They love it, they do well on it and no pooey bums. It's too early for me to compare growth and health but more protein is always helpful for raising the big heavy breeds.
So if your Westons stockist doesn't have Game bird crumbles ask them to stock it. It's good stuff, contains animal protein (meat meal or similar).

I buy from Dawes in Halswell Junction Road and paid $33 for a 25 kg bag.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Re: Westons have a Game Bird Crumble!!

Postby nhb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:16 pm

That pretty good buying. I can't even find westons down here in timaru, really wish that I could get it. Have looked on the westons site but nothing comes up, when looking for supplier's in your area.
Proud owner and breeder, of North Holland blues and Sicilian buttercups
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby trtapp » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:46 pm

Seriously Westons really need to get there marketing people a good kicking
they need to update there web site and hook up with some of the few remaining Independent pet shops
or we will only be able to buy barnyard or sgt dan or Nrm soy protein feeds

They do sell Westons food at Clutha vets in Milton thats where I get mine from
Wood box in Dunedin has closed down but there is Animal attraction one of the few pet shops left (one day it will all be Animates big box pet shops)
I asked them to get it in but the guy didnt seem interested it is a shame because there is a strong poultry club there in Dunedin
trtapp
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:27 pm

Hi Trtapp and welcome to PC!

I have been buying Westons Gambe Bird crumbles from Dawes in Halswell Junction Road in Christchurch for a year now. We are very lucky to have this outlet. Most shops don't carry the game bird crumbles as not enough people buy them.

Many of the big producers of poultry feed have 'exclusivity agreements' with shops which further limits the availability of the good brands. Westons is my favourite brand, the quality is very stable, pellet size is small and therefore very palatable to birds and they still use some meat meal.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby trtapp » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:11 pm

Agreements that substantially lessen competition are illegal under section 27 of the Commerce Act. These agreements could be in the form of a written contract or an informal understanding. Whether an agreement is deliberately anti-competitive or not, if it has the purpose, effect, or likely effect of substantially lessening competition in a market, it is illegal. Even if the agreement is not put into practice, the act of reaching (or attempting to reach) an anti-competitive agreement is also illegal

https://comcom.govt.nz/business/avoidin ... ompetition

well they better not have agreements like that according to consumer law

I love the westons food for that reason too and its good that it isnt ultra pcked with GM soy protein
trtapp
Chick
Chick

Return to Hatching & Raising