Hi from Christchurch

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

Hi from Christchurch

Postby Henne » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:03 pm

It's great to come across such a busy and large forum on poultry, can't believe I haven't found it before ;)

I have a backyard 'flock' of two: one black Leghorn pullet I got recently and one hen of mixed and unknown heritage (Shaver/Orpington would be my uneducated guess) in her second or so year. Before that I had two Shavers which kept going for years. One of them only just passed away at the ripe old age of around ten - hence the new pullet ;)

I would love to meet someone locally who could teach me more about handling chooks. Mine eat out of my hand and allow the odd light touch, but it seems we are stuck at that level. It seems there's only so much you can learn from books...
Henne
Chick
Chick

Re: Hi from Christchurch

Postby wolga » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi Henne,
Welcome to the forum. Have a good look through all the topics and I'm sure you will find heaps of useful information.
In two weeks time there's the national poultry show in Christchurch which will be a great opportunity to meet other poultry
fanciers and check out all the amazing different breeds of poultry.
wolga

Postby Henne » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:31 am

Thanks Wolga,
The poultry show is already in my calendar :D
Henne
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Hi Henne and welcome to PC :D

I'm in Christchurch and have every intention to go to the show, too. I'll probably be there all of Friday afternoon. The ladies at the reception desk do know me so if you ask them I'm sure they'll point you into the right direction.

You can do all sorts of things with chickens like agility or giving them a nappy so they can live inside. Some breeds are cuddlier than others. Silkies make good pets and may even enjoy a scratch. Some people have a chicken that roosts on the headboard of their bed ....
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Introduce Yourself