Newbee to the chicken family

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

Newbee to the chicken family

Postby jellybean » Mon May 05, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi all, I am so looking forward to learning anything I can to help my 4 chickens live a happy healthy propductive life. I have 4 brown shavers that are going through their 2nd moult and I am surprised that they are still laying and producing eggs. They have not stopped since we got them a year ago. Is this normal?
Jellybean
jellybean
Chick
Chick

Re: Newbee to the chicken family

Postby Shoes2468 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi Jellybean,
I'm new to chickens and this forum too (one whole week new to both), so I don't have much advise as I'm learning myself, but thought I'd say hi. You've had chickens for a year so you seem like a pro to me :D
Shoes2468
Quail
Quail

Postby Kracka » Mon May 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi Jellybean & welcome

yep Brown Shavers can be a bit crazy like that - just make sure they've got plenty to eat - lots of variety, pellets/grains, greens as well as some meat (dog roll, tinned cat food, cooked meat left overs - just make sure you don't give them too much in one go, you don't want it sitting in the run, otherwise it might attract rats) and a good supply of calcium (oyster grit, or dry & crush their own shells - keep it in a separate dish, so they eat as much or as little as they want)

they'll need extra food to regrow those feathers
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby jellybean » Tue May 06, 2014 7:26 am

Everyday you learn something new about them. I am in the process of checking out which is the better food pellets to give to them as I am sure that the Budget layer pellets from pac n save are not very nutritional.
Jellybean
jellybean
Chick
Chick

Postby henny » Tue May 06, 2014 8:39 am

Hi and welcome - I use Budget pellets, as that's what our local store stocks! (as I live out country) my birds do ok with these pellets, it does have a little less protein than other brands - because of lack of protein I do feed a dog roll once a week - enjoy your birds, they are fun to have!
henny
Quail
Quail

Postby jellybean » Tue May 06, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi Henny, I didnt know that you could give them dog roll. Can you recommend any brand.
Jellybean
jellybean
Chick
Chick

Postby nhb » Tue May 06, 2014 10:36 pm

most brands of dog roll will do the job its the protien percentage that is the most important thing, the higher percentage of protien the better. welcome to the forum
Proud owner and breeder, of North Holland blues and Sicilian buttercups
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby sewren » Wed May 07, 2014 10:08 pm

Hi Jellybean, welcome to the forum - it's always nice to have more chicken-lovers here! :) And I totally agree that I'm always learning new things about my girls. It sounds like your chooks are real troopers - shavers are great layers but even they would normally slow down when they're going through a moult!
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby jellybean » Thu May 08, 2014 7:46 am

Thank you, mind you they are so spoilt. They get lots of wild bird seeds especially sunflower seed and yogurt to help with the feather regrowth. Their feathers never grew back on their bottems but they still kept on pumping them out. I think they are starting to slow down now as we are only getting 2 instead of 4.
Jellybean
jellybean
Chick
Chick

Return to Introduce Yourself