Hi all - from a new chicken fan

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

Hi all - from a new chicken fan

Postby Shoes2468 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi everyone,
I brought home on Sunday some new family members, a Barnevelder and a splash Orpington. I met Marina today who had lots of helpful advice, lots of beautiful birds, and also said this site is great if I need help and advice as well. So I thought I'd introduce myself and stop hiding in the background ;). I'm currently attemping to introduce my new blue Orpington (courtesy of Marina :D ) to the other two newbies so we will see how that goes.
Shoes2468
Quail
Quail

Re: Hi all - from a new chicken fan

Postby sewren » Fri May 02, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi shoes and welcome to PC, barnevelders and orpingtons are some of my favourite breeds so good choices! (I also have a blue orp courtesy of Marina so SNAP!) Good luck with your new family members :)
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Kracka » Sat May 03, 2014 8:46 am

Hi and Welcome Shoes

sounds like you've sourced your birds from a great place :D
I hope they all go well getting to know each other - plenty of space and distracting yummy food (chuck in some silverbeet leaves, or some dog roll!) generally keeps them busy enough they'll forget about the new faces pretty quick
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Sat May 03, 2014 10:49 am

Hi and welcome from me, too :D

They always squabble a bit when they are faced with an 'intruder'. It becomes a matter of concern if a bullied bird ends up trying to hide in a corner as then the others usually continue to peck it until the skin breaks, blood is drawn and the rest isn't good news.

I always stay close for half an hour or so after combining lots and then check hourly for half a day or so and always the next morning - just in case. Birds in corners are taken out but as long as they're not hiding I let them sort it out themselves.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Shoes2468 » Sat May 03, 2014 11:11 am

She was hiding in the corner and had her beak pecked so shes currently sitting her crate safe but against one wall of coop. Its only the Barnevelder, the Splash Orpington just ignores them both. I will wait a few days and try again. I read online that some people remove the aggressive one for a few days and this knocks her down the pecking order - would this be worth a try?
Shoes2468
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Sat May 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Shoes2468 wrote:some people remove the aggressive one for a few days and this knocks her down the pecking order - would this be worth a try?

That's what I do as aggressive chooks need a bit of a cool-down period and the newcomer benefits from being able to make the new pen her territory also.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Shoes2468 » Sun May 04, 2014 3:30 pm

I tried putting them together again today, so far they've been together for 3.5hours :) The Barnevelder has been overly aggressive 2 -3 times in which I walked up and poked a finger at her to make her move off. Last I looked they were all sitting in their dust bath area side by side. The blue Orpington is still quite jumpy, as any smart bird would be, with 'the falcon' as my husband has dubbed the Barnevelder lurking around. Regardless of this, They seem quite settled right now so hopefully it continues. I just hope they're not grumpy risers :?
Shoes2468
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Sun May 04, 2014 9:43 pm

Oh, I've just replied to your new thread. A few pecks are normal - that will continue to happen - nothing to worry about.

If they all shared a dust bath, things should settle down soon.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby jellybean » Wed May 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi Shoes, great to hear other peoples opinions and advice. I am sure that you are going to enjoy your chooks. They are so entertaining, so much better than watching tv. I have just found a place to get food and supplies in ChCh. Dawes in Halswell Juction rd. Where did you get your chooks from. :D
Jellybean
jellybean
Chick
Chick

Postby Shoes2468 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:20 pm

I got my first lot of feed from North Canterbury Stock feeds, but I will use Dawes in the future as its much closer. I got my chooks from Rotherham Poultry and Marina :) They're approx 4-5 months old, however my splash Orpington's wattle is much bigger and redder than the barnevelder's and blue orpington, so I'm wondering if she's a couple of weeks or so older than the other two -which are about the same - but I have no clue about that sort of thing :D. It might explain why Splash is the head chook though over the barnevelder :)
Shoes2468
Quail
Quail

Return to Introduce Yourself