Hi from another newbie

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

Hi from another newbie

Postby cjm » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi I'm new to this chicken business and we're just trying to find the right pullets for us. I've been told to go for Orpingtons, Benevelder, Plymouth Rock basically all the large breeds, is this the right way to go. I've also been told that these are normally docile and easier to handle. We've already got the little shed sorted and are now putting up a run, we now have to find the chickens to buy, can anyone help
Thanks
cjm
Chick
Chick

Re: Hi from another newbie

Postby wolga » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi cjm,
welcome to Poultry central. This is definitely the right place to learn everything about chickens.
Trade Me is always a good place to look for some pullets. Do you want to have just one breed or
a nice mix of different chooks ? There are also a few breeders who sell pullets. Where is your location ?
wolga

Postby cjm » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:29 am

Hi wolga
I think I'd rather have a mix of birds. I have seen someone selling 3 barred plymouth rock x and a light sussex which all look lovely but we've also found a dealer selling hylines which are pol. We're in Te Kauwhata which is north of Huntly.
cjm
Chick
Chick

Postby wolga » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:27 pm

Hi cjm,
I think you are quite close to Poultry Vally in Morinsville. They sell a wide range of chicken.
Have a look at their website !
http://www.poultryvalleylifestyle.co.nz/
You might be able to get a nice selection of chickens from them. ;)
wolga

Postby Marina » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Precious Poultry - www.preciouspoultry.co.nz - are who I'd recommend. Much more pleasant to deal with and I've only ever heard good feedback about them.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby cjm » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi Marina
I called Precious Poultry and they are now winding down so he didn't have anything I'd want. I think I want to go for the heavier breed and not just one that is a prolific egg layer, I want them to be pretty as well, typical female really LOL
cjm
Chick
Chick

Postby cjm » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi Wolga
I've looked at that site and it's really good but hubby has given me a spending limit on 4 birds :cry:
cjm
Chick
Chick

Postby sewren » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi cjm and welcome to PC! :)

The heavy breeds do tend to be more docile than light breeds, and they're my favourites so I'd definitely recommend them! :lol:

I had a quick look on trademe for waikato (looking in the farming, then poultry section) and there were a few there - I definitely saw a rhode island red and a barnevelder, but if I were you I would also consider some of the cross breeds or barnyard pullets that are available there - they can be really beautifully feathered and are often good layers. The most important thing for you at the moment is to buy healthy birds, and look for something that says pullet (which should indicate a femal under 1 year old) or where they tell you the age. If they're younger than about 5 months old then they probably won't lay until after winter so avoid the very young birds too, unless you are happy to wait until spring for your first eggs!

Good luck with the hunt for your perfect first chooks! :)
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Marina » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:04 pm

I know the trader - PC member Lakeviewpoultry:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farmi ... 355786.htm

There is a buy-now of $20 and 2 of them look POL. Mixed age is no problem, they'll probably all free range together and are similar size.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby 99chooks » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:28 pm

I have had birds/eggs/dealings with all of the people mentioned here and my recommendation would be Precious Poultry for the shear variety and honesty of the owners and Lakesidepoultry who has some show stopping orpingtons and wyandottes. Both are awesome helpful people.
99chooks
Turkey
Turkey

Postby cjm » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks to all of you for your help.
I've just purchased 4 younger birds, about 14 weeks, and I've got to choose them tomorrow. I think I'll get a couple of Wyandotte and Orpington as they both look like lovely birds. I know I'll have to wait for eggs but that'll mean I can spend my time enjoying getting to know them instead.
Again thank you all and I'll keep you posted.
cjm
Chick
Chick

Postby sewren » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:56 pm

That's great - make sure to post photos of your girls when they arrive! :)
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby wolga » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:17 am

That's a good age ! I'm sure you will enjoy having them around and watch them develop into lovely hens.
Wyandottes tend to be very broody so they might not be the best choice if you want to keep them mainly
for their eggs.
wolga

Postby cjm » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:27 pm

Yay, I've just got my girls and they are lovely. I got them from Kathleen at Lakeview.
One of them is a gold lace Wyandotte which I've called Galifrey, there are two black Orpingtons which my daughter will name and there is a Sussex x Orpington who is slightly older (about 17 weeks). I think she is lovely as she's white with little flecks of black, not to sure what to call her yet probably Serenity, can you tell I'm also a si fi freak as well.
When my daughter gets home I'll let you know the other names and may get a pic out tomorrow or soon after. I've shut them away in their coop with food and water and lots of bedding, I'll let them settle then go and see them later.
cjm
Chick
Chick

Return to Introduce Yourself