lots to learn

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

lots to learn

Postby SHENKHAN » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi, Im new to owning chickens, but really enjoying the experience. I started with 8 Pekin hens and one Pekin Rooster. They are only 5 months old so not far away from laying hopefully. The wee rooster is just starting to show signs of maturity.
I have added 3 Araucana hens and one Araucana Roo. (not sure of the spelling)
Recently I managed to purchase 2 Barneveld pullets plus two wee chicks and a Barney Rooster. They are all kept separate, and free range with their own coops for night.
So thats my lot.
I waste a lot of my day sitting watching them, and have a big veggie garden for treats.
I am sure I will learn so much from this group.
Shenkhan
SHENKHAN
Quail
Quail

Re: lots to learn

Postby Kracka » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:01 am

Hi Shenkhan & welcome!

sounds like a good mix and nicely setup, keeping the different varieties separate - with the different sized birds, its safer for the Pekins to be kept out of the way of the big birds
I've got a few Pekins - what colours have you got?
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby SHENKHAN » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi Kracka,
Well now, my colour descriptions may not be the correct teminology, but here goes. Two red (gold) breasted, pencilled grey, 3 silver pencilled, 1 lavender, 1black speckled with white , and 1 black speckled frizzle. The Rooster is beautidul he is a rich cream with green tail feathers. I will have to learn how to post a picture if this is possible? They all have very fluffy feet.
SHENKHAN
Quail
Quail

Postby Kracka » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:35 pm

aaah, guessing an interpretation of the colours described....

Two red (gold) breasted - not sure, all over red/gold is normally called Buff
pencilled grey, - these differ from the 3 Silver Pencils?
3 silver pencilled, - correct name!
1 lavender, - unlikely to be true Lavender, more like what we call Blue (which is grey, a dilution of black)
1black speckled with white , - sounds like a Mottle
and 1 black speckled frizzle. - a frizzled Mottle?
The Rooster is beautiful he is a rich cream with green tail feathers. - could be Buff Columbian - they're meant to have some black neck feathers and a black tail, rest of body is cream/gold
They all have very fluffy feet. - sounds good!

photos would be a great help - you need to save them to somewhere like photo bucket (which is free) and then put the links on here
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Return to Introduce Yourself