Hi, from another newby

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

Hi, from another newby

Postby oratiachick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:19 pm

First I want to introduce myself. We have just bought property at Oratia, and have also just got 6 young girl chickens. They dont seem to be drinking much water, we change it every day, water is in a ice cream container, where they cant tip it over, but they dont seem to drink much??? We bought them from a chicken breeder, they look healthy and are responding well to us now, after 6 weeks or so, have a very healthy appetite, love the bugs my husband catches for them. Any clues as to whats going on anyone?
Cheers Trish
oratiachick
Chick
Chick

Re: Hi, from another newby

Postby wolga » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 am

Hi Trish,
welcome to Poultry Central. I wouldn't worry to much as long as they have water available all the time.
They just drink as much as they need. Laying hens drink more than 100ml a day even more on a hot day.
But young chicks might not need that much. How old are your girls ?
wolga

Postby oratiachick » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:51 pm

They are now about 18 weeks old. Thanks for the reply. So just a ice cream container is fine? They took awhile to behave like chickens, scratching around and such like. Seems to us thats because they came from a big shed, rather than being outside, is this right? They do enjoy husband catching cicadas and feeding them live, they are well fed and seem happy, they have a big ouside area to scratch around in.
oratiachick
Chick
Chick

Postby wolga » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 pm

I would get a proper drinker for the chooks. They hold more water and it stays cleaner.
Your hens need to learn how to behave like chickens. It happens a lot when you buy
Shavers . They grow up with hundreds of other hens in a very controlled environment.
But don't worry they are quick learners.
wolga

Return to Introduce Yourself