It is so hard!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

It is so hard!

Postby henny » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:01 am

I have had a paddock full of chooks, for over 20 years - I can't remember where I got them from - have no idea what breed they are- but I love them all.
I have had nearly as many rooster as I have hens - I collect eggs from paddocks, under hedges, in the sheds, where ever I find a nest -
So this year I decided I wanted "proper" hens - my friend and I disposed of most of the rooster - still a few living in the trees - moved the little black hens and their white friends into "a chook house"- bought myself an incubator, purchased eggs via Trade Me - now I am waiting today for these eggs to finish hatching - one egg hatched overnight - and IT IS SO HARD - waiting without touching anything - I am a nervous wreck!!!!!!!! cheers from Stanley Brook - SW of Nelson
henny
Quail
Quail

Re: It is so hard!

Postby wolga » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:33 am

Welcome henny !
How exciting ! How many eggs did you get and what breed are they ? I know it's very hard not to open the incubator but you have to be strong ! ;)
Can't wait to hear how many chicks hatch . :D
wolga

Postby Kracka » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:09 am

Hi and Welcome!

I'm afraid I'm bad at opening the incubator door - I can't sit by and watch something that's stuck - I keep a little spray bottle of water by the incubator & give it a shot of water as I close the door
still NOT better than leaving the door shut in the first place, but its quicker to get back to the correct humidity

exciting stuff, hope its all going well! :D
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Ha ha henny, I love it - I am bad enough for twiddling my fingers when I have eggs under a broody, so if I had an incubator to play with I think I'd just sit and stare at the eggs all day!! :lol:
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Del » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:11 pm

sewren wrote:Ha ha henny, I love it - I am bad enough for twiddling my fingers when I have eggs under a broody, so if I had an incubator to play with I think I'd just sit and stare at the eggs all day!! :lol:

I did that! Seriously, I had a little chair next to the bench with the incubator and peered at it for hours, while the little pips got chipped out, and the eggs danced, and the chicks cheeped from inside :D Ooh such lovely fun! I just loaded up the incubator today with barnies and am looking forward to 3 weeks time!
(Husband has started referring to me as 'crazy chicken lady'...)
Mariposa (RIR), Fifi (light Sussex), Cindy (barred rock), Margarine, Rosie, Urby and Orby (barnevelders) and Bruce... The Barnevelder Roo... And 7 "teenagers" + 9 wee fluff balls
Del
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Del wrote:(Husband has started referring to me as 'crazy chicken lady'...)

Welcome to the club :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby AlisonS » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:52 pm

My husband thinks all chicken keepers are "crazy chicken people"... It's a nice club to belong to. Conversation is never lacking!!
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby henny » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:05 am

AlisonS wrote:

My husband thinks all chicken keepers are "crazy chicken people"... It's a nice club to belong to. Conversation is never lacking!!

I am very happy to know so many "crazy chicken people"........ my eggs are still hatching, and I am still pacing the kitchen-my fault - I did follow "incubating instructions" - resting eggs fro 24 hours after arrival in the post - but no one told me I should wait until all the eggs arrive - so I am having an extended "incubate" -
I have removed the first chickens - all happy chappies, moved into the brooder - and dancing and singing loudly!
The hens that I really craved for are the Lavender Aracuna's possibly my favourite bird - not that I have actually seen one in the flesh - they are not available here in Nelson - I have read thru this site that they could be the most popular bird - Bared Rocks, good egg layers and good personality - Light Sussex - another pretty bird and has good egg laying qualities - and Silver Laced Wyandotte - just cause I like them------------------Having bought a 60 egg incubator - it seemed a shame to only put 12 eggs in it for the first incubation - so I did have to think quick as what else to buy - and that too was not an easy decision - my incubation is not going exactly to plan - I have had 4 birds from each of 3 of the sets of eggs, another 2 chicks appeared this morning - not exactly sure of breed, still waiting for some of the araucana eggs to hatch - It is hard to know why some of the eggs have hatched and some not - specially when they are laying next to each other - curious thou - I am happy with the little birds that I have! cheers from Stanley Brook - SW of Nelson
henny
Quail
Quail

Postby AlisonS » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:40 am

The hens that I really craved for are the Lavender Aracuna's possibly my favourite bird -not that I have actually seen one in the flesh

I wonder what you will think when you see them in the flesh! I remember when we first got our first lavender Araucana hen I just about laughed out loud at first sight and for days I still found her comical! Mind you, it will be different for you as they don't start out like that as chicks. Just the sweetest little pale lavender fluff balls.

Looking forward to hearing about your hatching!
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby henny » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:08 pm

thx Alison - not one of my lovely araucana hatched - I ordered some more from a different supplier - and will have another try!
henny
Quail
Quail

Postby henny » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:17 am

I am on day 21 - with my third incubation - 24 eggs this time - 12 easter eggers ( I want the coloured eggs) via post and 12 Barnvelder (nice speckled brown eggs) from Appleton's in Nelson - picked up!
looks like I will get 7 Barnvelders and 6 of the others - I know I need to learn to candle!!! is there anything else I can/should be more alert on?

I have a thermometer in the tray and bought a humidity thingy! your thoughts please!
henny
Quail
Quail

Postby roobz316 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Do NOT open the lid while they are hatching!!
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby henny » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:49 pm

oops!
henny
Quail
Quail

Return to Introduce Yourself