New member north of Auckland

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

New member north of Auckland

Postby Kevandmum » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:28 pm

Hi
I have had chickens for many years but only recently decided to have a go at breeding mainly to keep my young teen son involved. He really loves chickens and they get plenty of cuddles from him. We can both learn lots from this venture, from building pens to genetics and managing animals etc. I have read this forum a bit and thought it would be good to talk to more experienced chicken people.

We have some orpingtons: 1 black hen, 1 buff hen, 3 new white pullets, 2 white orp roosters and a wyandotte hen. One of the roos needs to go, he has too many faults. We've hatched a few batches of coloured chicks to sell to friends but would like to only breed the whites. It seems there are not so many around ( I thought this would be a good reason for the choice). I had a look at the standards and our roo is a bit small really. His shape is ok (I think) and he has white legs and good temperament. One pullet has white legs, the other 2 have grey.
Should I include this rooster or find a bigger one somewhere? Any advice?
I find genetics fascinating but there are many things to learn. I think spiral/clan breeding might work well.

Cheers
Inge
Kevandmum
Chick
Chick

Re: New member north of Auckland

Postby Marina » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi Inge and welcome to PC. Your name sounds German - am I right?

Without pictures it's difficult to say which of your birds are suited to breeding. I've been breeding Orpingtons for over 25 years now and type is the most important requirement.

Who did you source your Orpingtons from? All from the same breeder? Black can hide white so your black hen may well carry recessive white. If your black hen has good type you could include her in your breeding program.

I have made the experience that the really big Orpington roosters often are infertile - or so clumsy that they can't mate successfully. I like using a smaller rooster over my biggest hens and get good results. For me a cut-away chest is the most severe fault in an Orpington.

Good White Orpingtons are far and few between as they've been crossed with Cobbs to increase size. This results in lack of fluff, poor type and yellow legs.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Kevandmum » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:33 am

Hi Marina

Thank you for your welcome. I’m Dutch so you were close.
The black hen is half buff so I won’t include her. The buff hen has a nice shape.
The white pullets are from what was Poultry Valley and the rooster has white parents and grandparents but I don’t know anything about what they looked like. But he is fluffy with white legs.
What is a cut away chest? Is it a crease in the feathers?
How do I put up photos?

I do like a challenge so I’m drawn to helping the less common whites. So I would like to be well prepared before launching into breeding.

Thanks
Inge
Kevandmum
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:28 pm

The only way to post pictures is to upload them to Photobucket or flickr or similar and post a URL.

A cut-away chest is best explained with pictures but after Photobucket asked me to pay US$399 so I can continue to use my Photobucket account I decided to leave it.

The opposite of a cut-away chest is a well rounded chest. In a cut-away chest there is a straight line between the hips and the base of the neck. The bird looks quite upright.

I just checked Poultry Valley and the website is gone? The business was sold a few years ago and there was a new owner. I don't know what their birds are/were like. Are you able to upload your photos to a photo sharing site?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Kevandmum » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:05 am

Hi Marina

Our rooster has the line on his breast :( . Is it difficult to breed out?
Poultry Valley changed to Harrisville about 6 months ago.
I saw some breeders listed on rarebreeds but they are very far away. Can you recommend anyone nearer Auckland for good stock?

I have many questions so I suppose I should go on the breeders topics?

Thanks
Inge
Kevandmum
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi Inge,

that description of a cut-away chest obviously wasn't good. There isn't a line on the bird itself. It's when you look at the bird side-on and the chest isn't well rounded but basically a straight line.

White Orpingtons are far and few between unfortunately but you could try Kathleen Bayliss near Huntly. She's the secretary of the Waikato Poultry club and did at some point have very nice white Orpingtons. Here is her phone number taken from the club's website: Kathleen Bayliss (07) 826 6744

If she doesn't have them any more she might be able to put you onto someone who has.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Kevandmum » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Thank you, I will try contacting Kathleen.
Kevandmum
Chick
Chick

Return to Introduce Yourself