Newbie from Pakaraka, Bay of Islands

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

Newbie from Pakaraka, Bay of Islands

Postby TribalMum » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:29 am

Hi all, thanks for the add.

I breed hamburgs and, this being breeding season, the flock is somewhat on the large side right now. I also keep a motley crew of other heritage girls who are around more as beautiful ornaments than any expectation of eggs - most of indeterminate age and inherited with the house.
Gold pencilled, gold spangled and black hamburgs
TribalMum
Chick
Chick

Re: Newbie from Pakaraka, Bay of Islands

Postby eae » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:56 am

Oooh, hamburgs :) I've got some SSH hatching this weekend, can't wait. I'm excited to see you breed the gold pencilled. That's a colourway I've been trying to add to my flock for a few years now. Had a disastrous hatch of 1/10 with some golden campines last year. We too have a rather eclectic bunch of heritage girls who give us more than enough eggs and provide a lot of smiles and beauty around the place.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby TribalMum » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Oooooh, good to know there is someone else in Northland keeping beautiful hamburgs! I keep thinking about getting some SSH for breeding and showing, but am sitting on my ambitions until I sort through what I already have. I've hatched about 30 pencilled chicks this season and have more eggs about to be set (my final hatch for this year, barring the odd sneaky broody). I think I've only ever seen one or two campines ever - quite rare these days for sure.
TribalMum
Chick
Chick

Postby nhb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:21 pm

Welcome to the forum I like hamburgs, great to see you have a heritage breed and are actively breeding them. Do you also show what you are breeding , as you mentioned showing but I couldn't work out if you showed or not
Proud owner and breeder, of North Holland blues and Sicilian buttercups
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby TribalMum » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:15 pm

Yes, I showed my gold pencilled and gold spangled Hamburgs for the first time earlier this year in Whangarei and Auckland. Next year I’m hoping to get a little further south, for the Waikato show, as hamburgs are pretty thin on the ground on the exhibition bench in the far north and I’d love to see what other breeders are doing with their birds.
TribalMum
Chick
Chick

Return to Introduce Yourself