Our Place .... now looking to get Reeves Pheasants

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

Our Place .... now looking to get Reeves Pheasants

Postby AndrewBoyd » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi I've just joined and would really like to get some fertile Reeves Pheasant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reeves%27s_Pheasant eggs for an awesome hen to raise. If you could help please let me know - we live in Selwyn County, by the river: you can see a wee youtube movie of the place here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kECPvZLdPjc&feature=player_embedded cheers Andrew :-)
AndrewBoyd
Chick
Chick

Re: Our Place .... now looking to get Reeves Pheasants

Postby DRG » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:59 pm

Welcome to the forum Andrew!

I hope you find the pheasants you're after!
Poultry Central. The best thing in NZ since Chickens
DRG
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby AndrewBoyd » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:27 am

eight years on and I'm still keen!

Seems they're quite a rarity :/
AndrewBoyd
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:12 am

Your place looks beautiful - ideal for pheasants. Have you set your mind on Reeves pheasants? Appletons in Nelson are listed on www.rarebreeds.co.nz as having them but on their website the Reeves pheasants are not mentioned. May be worth inquiring, though.

Willowbank have a selection of pheasants but, as far as I'm aware, no Reeves. But you could try to find out what they have.

Pheasants are not easy to breed and sometimes a handful of chicks is all that hatches in one season.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby nhb » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:22 pm

I know where some reeves are I fed them today, I also know that he has none to spare due to breeding. From what I know most of them are in the north island. but I don't know who has them, I could possibly find out. They aren't easy to get hold of
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby eae » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:48 am

There's a guy on trade me, somewhere in Waikato. I spoke with him last year about buying some Reeves. I'll see if I can dredge up his info.

I'm currently trying to find some golden or Lady Amherst pheasant eggs. Tried rare breeds, Facebook etc. Anyone have any suggestions?
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby nhb » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:53 pm

I believe I know where these pheasants are I am currently feeding 4 or more different types of pheasants, but they don't seem to be easy to get hold of .the ones I am talking about are in south Canterbury, I don't know where they are in the north island. But I may be able to find out . The owner of these birds knows where alot of the pheasant breeders are in both islands
nhb
Quail
Quail

Return to Introduce Yourself