Showing for beginners

A place to learn and share show standards and information about showing! As well as upcoming regional sale days.

Showing for beginners

Postby teach » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Might be a silly question, but will I have to join a poultry club in order to enter my birds in any shows? Or can I enter without being a member of any club?
I have a rather magnificent Barnevelder rooster I am considering on showing (well I think he looks good). Not a great shot but I like him. he tries to be tough but my wife just picks him up and tucks him under her arm. It is so deflating for the big fella.

Re: Showing for beginners

Postby wolga » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:06 am

In general you don't have to be a member to show your birds. Some shows are members only but not many.
The entry form should state if it's a open show or members only. You should give it a go. He's a pretty boy.

Re: Showing for beginners

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 am

I, too, think that he's a good looking rooster. A bit hunched up in the photo, though.

It usually only costs $10 to join a poultry club as a member and you can do this at the time you do your entries.

The Christchurch Poultry, Bantam and Pigeon Club offers half price entry fees to members - $1 per bird instead of $2 for non-members. This year the entry fee will be higher - I think $3 per bird for members - as it's the NZ National Show with higher prize money etc.

It's not an expensive hobby to show at a local show. There also are A&P Shows. At Canterbury A&P Show it costs $10 per bird for non-members and $5 per bird for members.

A Barnevelder is relatively easy to prepare for the show - give his feet a good scrub with an old toothbrush, a bit of oil on his legs, comb and wattles and he should be ready to go.

If you'd like a schedule for the Christchurch National Show (Have a look at for details) please send your postal address via PM and I'll pass it on to the show secretary.

Return to Showing, Exhibiting and Sale Days