Wyandotte Colours

A place to learn and share show standards and information about showing! As well as upcoming regional sale days.

Wyandotte Colours

Postby KBSBchookerynook » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi
We have a young cockeral and I think he is golden duckwing in colouring.
Was looking through the poultry standards and it doesn't mention golden duckwing
as a recognised colour so I was wondering if he would be allowed in a show?
His father is partridge and mother is silver pencilled.
Thanks
K
KBSBchookerynook
Chick
Chick

Re: Wyandotte Colours

Postby Marina » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:56 pm

Have you got a picture?

A golden duckwing coloured bird does not spontaneously pop up when you mate a partridge male to a silver pencilled female. What you should get (if the parent birds are what they are said to be) are (probably poor quality) partridge pullets and cockerels which look silver with gold (brown) leaking through. You can put any bird into a show if you want to. If it's not the colour you think it is it will most likely be disqualified.

If you have a bird who's colour is not in the standard you can still show it. It depends on the judge whether he/she judges it. Some do, others don't judge birds/colours which are not in the standard. I have, in the past, shown birds which were not in the standard- it's not to everyone's liking but if you want a colour to be recognized you have to persist with showing it.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Re: Wyandotte Colours

Postby KBSBchookerynook » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:09 am

Hi Marina,
Thanks for your reply. It was very helpful to hear that he may be able to go in a show.
I can't remember how to post pictures on here though.
Thanks
K
KBSBchookerynook
Chick
Chick

Return to Showing, Exhibiting and Sale Days