Should I show?

A place to learn and share show standards and information about showing! As well as upcoming regional sale days.

Should I show?

Postby Chookhen » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:55 am

Hi guys, wanting some advice on if I should show. I have done some casual showing ( ish ) at Hellensville A&P show, poultry section. All I did was pop them in cages so people could see what the breeds looked like. Not sure if I have pedigree hens though. If you want to know what breeds I have just ask.
Chookhen
Quail
Quail

Re: Should I show?

Postby wolga » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:02 am

What breeds do you have chookhen ?
wolga

Postby Marina » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:04 pm

It would be good to see pictures of your birds. :D Then we'd automatically know what breeds you have :mrgreen:

In regard to showing or not showing: by all means - show your birds. The worst case scenario is that they won't win any prizes.

However, the more information you gather before showing your birds the better. There is, for instance, the show preparation which can make your birds look their best and presenting them in tidy condition shows some respect for the judge who has to handle them.

It's the beginning of the breeding season now and you can still hatch and raise heritage breeds for the purpose of showing. Of course not all chicks grow up to be show quality, even if their parents have won prizes.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby nhb » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:57 pm

Why shouldn't you show if that's what you want to do. Do you want to show iam just asking because there is no mention of you wanting to show if you want to do it just do it and learn as you go that's pretty much how most people start of
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby Chookhen » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:12 pm

Ok.
Two Dorking hens from a friend not sure if purebred. Btw they are ( chicken book needed ) silver grey, but I will need to tame them a bit.
Four gold laced Wyandotte hens/point of lay.
Two barred rock one 1 year old, one point of lay. Color cuckoo.

Not for show :mrgreen: Brown shavers :D 5-6 years old
Chookhen
Quail
Quail

Postby Chookhen » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Barred rock pullet super pecky/devil :twisted: <-- that is her. :)
Chookhen
Quail
Quail

Postby Kracka » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:46 am

there's also the Kumeu A&P show on the 2nd weekend in March you might want to try your birds in?
I didn't even know there were poultry at Helensville?!

the judges at the Kumeu show will be happy to talk to you about your birds, their pros and cons
Ian Selby has confirmed for judging so far, so you can meet the man who wrote the standards!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Chookhen » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:50 pm

I did get a form but lost it. :roll: If I don't go away then I will definitely show. What i do need to work on is handling, am terrabile. :|
Chookhen
Quail
Quail

Return to Showing, Exhibiting and Sale Days