Poultry at Chch Show

A place to learn and share show standards and information about showing! As well as upcoming regional sale days.

Poultry at Chch Show

Postby sewren » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:35 am

Anyone know if there is a good day for poultry at the Christchurch A&P Show?

We've been on the Friday for the last 2 years and both times I was disappointed by the number and variety of poultry there. We're thinking about going today (Wed) or tomorrow (Thurs) this year and I was just wondering if anyone knows if one day is better for poultry or if it's just rubbish every day!?! I can't seem to find much of use on the website...
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Re: Poultry at Chch Show

Postby nzkings » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:53 pm

When I was at the Rangiora show, I spoke to one of the ladies from the North Canterbury Poultry club. She said this is a terrible time of year to get birds for the show as the majority of them are a bit bald!
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:18 pm

I spent 4 hours there today. It's not a show where you go to specifically see poultry. If you go to the A&P show you get the opportunity to see some poultry.

All birds are penned on Tuesday afternoon and spend Wednesday, Thursday and Friday there. De-penning is on Friday from 5.30pm. So no matter when you go there will always be the same birds there.

I think there were 94 entries this year - heavy breeds, light breeds and bantams. The quality of the birds is from excellent to poor, some have DQs and got a 1st placing due to being the only one in the class.

If you go to the show - by all means check out the poultry display. It's in the livestock pavillion.

If you want to see a good poultry show - wait until the last weekend in June :D That's when they've all moulted and have nice shiny feathers.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:29 am

Thanks Marina - we did end up going yesterday and saw you won 2 prizes - Congratulations!! (And I think the other half was a bit shocked by the size of your orpy girl - ha ha ha, little does he know! :lol: )

There seemed to be a few more birds there than I remember there being the last 2 years - we'd always gone on a Friday so I wondered if some had been taken away by the time we got there, but from what you say there was probably just a small number of entries. And yes, I did notice that a few of the ladies looked like they have had a decent amount of rooster attention - definitely not looking their best!
sewren

Postby Trace » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Congrats Marina, I too was pleased to see your name :D
Trace
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Marina » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:40 pm

All done - back home.

My Orpington hen is broody and had one little chick with her which I took to the show with her. On arrival I asked the president whether I can leave the chicky with his mum but he said I should rather take the wee chicky home with me so I did.

Chicky went into the brooder with lots of other chicks (he's an 'only child') where he did ok.

When I let his mother out of the car she immediately called for her chick but he was, of course, in the brooder.

I went into the house, showed hubby the ribbon (he made some jokes about putting it up on the wall etc) and he asked me whether I'll return chicky to his mum and whether she'd recognize him/he'd recognize her.

We went outside where mum was happily scratching under a bush. I got the wee chicky out, let it go and he immediately started to chirp. Mum came 'flying' - her wings spread, running as fast as she could towards chicky, round a corner, taking it too fast, slipping, getting back to her feet, gathering momentum again until she reached chicky. It was a really heart warming reunion between the two and they're now happily wandering through our garden again.

So despite a 3.25 day separation the hen was happy to have her chick back and chicky was happy to have his mum back. The chick is 3 weeks old.

The show was a good one, lots of interest from the general public, especially from the children.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby nzkings » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:15 pm

That's a lovely story Marina.... the bond between the broody and her chick(s) never ceases to amaze me.
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:15 pm

oooh, that was a video moment!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:44 am

Oh wow - that reunion story is amazing!! (And totally melts my heart - I'm such a sap!) Makes me think you could write a kids story book about mum and chick being separated and in strange environments, and obviously with the happy ending of them getting back together again. Bless.
sewren

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Great story Marina, and like Kracka said, a children's story, Margaret Mahy would have loved it.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Return to Showing, Exhibiting and Sale Days