Program for 2013 National Show

A place to learn and share show standards and information about showing! As well as upcoming regional sale days.

Re: Program for 2013 National Show

Postby gonetothedogs » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:23 pm

I was thinking about entering Bigboy, my avatar photo. He has come through his moult and is looking great. Would just have to get him keen to be crated for a couple of weeks.(hopefully the mud lately hasn't wreaked his leg feathering!) Thinking one of the sheep crates would work well and put it in the horse shed on sawdust.Plus I have wire crates much like show ones I can "pen train" him with. Maybe a young pullet would be an easier one to start will but this guy is stunning and wasted in the paddock. (haha)
Raven81, you have a hen entered at In'gill?
Just sent an email to the In'gill club and will give them a ring tomorrow.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby gonetothedogs » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks raven81 about the spurs.
I read up on the In'gill web site and preparing and being at a show. Sounds easier than the dogs shows!
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby buzzard » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Marina wrote:I'm not so sure about the importance of showing in regard to knowing where one stands as a breeder. I've bred poultry for a good 20 years now and have only shown for the very first time last season and only at one show. ...

so how do you know then?
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby 99chooks » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:44 pm

You don't have to belong to a club to show, you just pay an extra fee.
99chooks
Turkey
Turkey

Postby gonetothedogs » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks. Hopefully hear back tomorrow.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Raven81 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:52 pm

gonetothedogs wrote:Thanks. Hopefully hear back tomorrow.

i found they dont check emails very often so better to ring jill yourself.
"Happiness is a journey not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby gonetothedogs » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Yeah, easy modern internet just hasn't reached some people !! I have her number written down. Was there a closing date?
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Raven81 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:56 pm

there was a closing date but i cant remember when that is.
"Happiness is a journey not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:11 pm

buzzard wrote:so how do you know then?

... good question. I haven't had a standard until about 4 years ago either...

There was no TradeMe when I got my first heritage breed chooks so they were a lot rarer. I waited 2 years for my first fertile Orpington eggs. That's how difficult it was to get a certain breed.

Once they had grown up they looked pretty much like the ones on the colour plates in the chook books one was able to view at the library. Same with the offspring - they looked pretty good but some looked nicer than others so the not-so-nice ones went to friends.

I never claimed that they were of a certain quality when I sold some - it was quite different from what it's like now.

But to answer your question - in the early days I relied on the few pictures I had seen and on the word of the breeder I bought them from.

It was only about 5, maybe 6 years ago, when that same breeder I originally got my Orps from was stuck without a male. He contacted each and everyone he had ever sold fertile Black Orp eggs to, asking whether they had a male going spare. And I had. So he dropped in, had a look and was very very keen on one of the two males I had. He wanted to buy him off me but I asked for fertile eggs next season. With the bird under his arm he left and at the gate he told me that the other one had split wing and shouldn't be bred from. Nice one :shock: (I had a Splash Orp so wasn't rooster-less.)

A couple of months later he turned up with a Black Orp rooster under his arm as someone he knew had passed away and his relatives, who had already sold the females, had rung him to take away the males. So he got one of these males for me so that I had a breeding male. That was nice. I also got the fertile eggs I had asked for 2 years later.

While he was at our place he had a look at the other birds I had and made some very valuable comments. These visits have continued to this day.

These days there are certain online fora where pictures of birds can be posted :mrgreen: and comments are made. It does, of course, depend on who makes these comments but I have benefited hugely from this and have learnt more about standardbred poultry during the past 3 or so years than during the preceeding 18.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby buzzard » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:00 am

that's my point Marina, getting outside opinions on your birds, and as you know a picture can be very misleading.
chickens are standard bred. and if you consider yourself a breeder, then you should be breeding to the standard, how do you know if you are achieving this? - getting qualified outside opinions, there is just no way around this.
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Raven81 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:24 pm

got my confirmation in the post today. will just enter the one this yr & will enter more next yr.
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby roobz316 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:59 am

I'm just catching up on some of the threads I haven't got round to reading while I was on holiday. Raven, thanks for putting up all those pics it must of taken AGES to upload that many. Congrats on your Fav Marina, I am thinking of hatching a few this year as I met someone up the road that has some (her son use to show them and she is looking after them while he is in oz) I was told Coro sussex don't have their own class so thought they would be in the AOB class, but Marina just mentioned her fav did not compete against any, so is there a any other colour class for sussex and would they compete against the buff and speckled etc?
My holiday was somewhat deflated when I was in Edinbrough at The Royal Highland Show (which is kind of like the field days with livestock/horses shown/exhibited) where I had read on a uk forum that it was one of the bigger poultry shows in the uk where there are heaps of birds shown and its a must see for poultry enthusiasts etc. So I get the program and it says thurs/fri is just exhibition poultry just for the public to look at and sat/sun is when the show birds come in (we went on the friday). Anyway got to the poultry tent expecting to see a good number of birds and was gutted to see about 15 birds, some halfway through a moult, the only one that interested me was a partridge Brahma. So that was a bit of a downer. I might put up the few pics I took later, at the moment its still a bit painful to think about, kind of like a kid thinking he was getting a new bike for xmas and instead gets a pair of socks lol.
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:49 am

I, too, would have thought that at a European show there would be interesting birds - and lots of them. But being summer the best birds would be in a breeding pen and not in their best feather costume.

Yes, there is an AOC Sussex class both at Ashburton and Christchurch. Don't know about other venues - it often depends a bit on what's popular in an area.

At Ashburton my Faverolle was competing against 5 other Faverolles, Cochins, Indian Game and Frizzle I think (without looking at the catalogue). At Christchurch there were only two Favs and 1 Frizzle in the AOB class.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Previous

Return to Showing, Exhibiting and Sale Days