nz poultry standards wanted

A place to learn and share show standards and information about showing! As well as upcoming regional sale days.

Re: nz poultry standards wanted

Postby buzzard » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Judith01,
yep that pinkish hue up the side of the males legs is actually a good thing, shows hes nice and healthy and full of 'pep', but thats more environmental rather than slate legs (which is genetic), this reddness/pink hue is quite desirable and in the standard of some breeds (RIR for eg).

I agree with you 99chooks 100%, however no one has perfect chooks, but as you its the purposful deception is whats a shame
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby mogget » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Hey Guys... Any one out there who wouldn't mind scanning a few pages from Ian Selby's standards? I really don't want to go another season of agonising over birds that I am giving away... wondering if I should keep this one or that for enhancing the lines that I am particularly interested in: Barred Plymouth Rocks, Wyandottes, Light Sussex and Araunconas are what I need to research.
Scans can be e-mailed to me,

1st.graham@gmail.com

Any help would be most appreciated!
mogget
Chick
Chick

Postby RussellBenington » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:56 pm

just light sussex for me thanks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... and with copyright laws... in the front page or so they generally have the conditions... which usually involve getting the authors permission before any thing can be copied
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby MrQuail » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:59 pm

possibly the simplest solution is, everyone harasses their local library to get a copy of the standard
MrQuail
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Tiffany » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:20 am

MrQuail wrote:possibly the simplest solution is, everyone harasses their local library to get a copy of the standard

Unfortunately, nobody is able to get a copy of the standards at the moment - I have been waiting months as they are redoing it, and won't sell any of the old standards either :evil: so I guess I will start another season without anything to go by (apart from what has kindly been put up here)
It all began with three......
Tiffany
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby chicibo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:53 pm

There are going to be two meetings held to actively discuss the standards, one in the North Island and one in the South Island. They are going to go through breed by breed and discuss if any changes are required, some changes that have already been made ect ect. The meetings are going to be open to ALL poultry enthusiasts, and I encourage those that can make it, and those that are serious about their breeds to go and have some input, as the standard will be unlikely to change again for another 20 years or so.

Also you will be able to "sponsor" some of the colored plates (drawings), and this will cost around $100 per plate. You will have your name printed in the book under the plate you have sponsored.

Some of the changes I am aware of are pretty major, for example ALL the duck standards are being changed. Some weight specifications for Bantams are being altered. Cuckoo Orpingtons are being added, however Splash, Chocolate and Lavender have been denied. At each meeting the changes will be discussed for each breed, then a decision will be made by majority what changes stay and what goes. That is why it's important we get as many people to attend as we can. As soon as I have the meeting details for each Island, I will post them here.

On a side note; Ian Selby has worked very hard to try and maintain a SENSIBLE NZ standard. If we allowed EVERYTHING into the standard, there would be no point in having a standard at all. There are certain things in my own breeds that have been changed, added, or refused that I don't agree with, HOWEVER that doesn't make ME right! If I happen to breed a color that is not in the standard, I just sell them as non-standard birds. Also, Ian has to pay for the printing of the standard before it is printed, minimum order is 1000. He is paying this out of his own pocket, so I think he has the right to say no to anything completely ridiculous!
Love me, Love my animals, No exceptions, No compromise!
chicibo
Emu
Emu

Postby 99chooks » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:33 pm

Well said chicibo ;) Also the standards isn't a text book funded by a commercial enterprise or DoC, MAF or the like. The old book has been identified as "incorrect" in many modern areas so can't be sold any more.
99chooks
Turkey
Turkey

Postby judith01 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:57 pm

when are these meetings?
judith01
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby chicibo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:28 am

I will get back to you on that Judith. I believe the NI one will be held in Turangi (but not 100% sure.) :)
chicibo
Emu
Emu

Postby buzzard » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Tiffany wrote:Unfortunately, nobody is able to get a copy of the standards at the moment - I have been waiting months as they are redoing it, and won't sell any of the old standards either :evil: so I guess I will start another season without anything to go by (apart from what has kindly been put up here)

its great that people want to breed to the standard and it is frustrating not being able to get one.

As Chicibo and 99 have pointed out it is not an inexpensive exercise and the more pre order sales that can be made the better, I know the Waikato club has committed to buying a bulk lot from Ian when they are printed, and other clubs may well do so aswell, just to help spread costs around while the new edition gets sold.

but the best interim way would be to contact your local breed club, and get acess to the current one through them and even make a committment (deposit??) on one of the new editions then this way no one is short changing anyone else and breaking copyright by scanning and sending via email.

Tiffany, if you want a new copy thats great, and happy to pay a deposit for a new one then you can borrow mine in the meantime
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby chicibo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:50 am

I have scanned and uploaded the letter received from Ian regarding the North Island meeting.

chicibo
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:24 pm

I've got a copy of the poultry standards - I'll try to bring it in with me tomorrow & start typing some of these requests up - not sure I'll be able to scan the book though, as the spine doesn't like opening up very well (I have seen a copy which was in a ring binder, where you could take out & change any updated standards of individual breeds - that seemed like a brilliant idea to me!)
so when I've typed one in - can someone double check my text for typos!
and not sure I should just add to the end of this thread?? as the individual breed standard will be hard to find - any suggestions about that? should I key in each standard as a new subject?
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby RussellBenington » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:15 pm

Kracka wrote:I've got a copy of the poultry standards - I'll try to bring it in with me tomorrow & start typing some of these requests up - not sure I'll be able to scan the book though, as the spine doesn't like opening up very well (I have seen a copy which was in a ring binder, where you could take out & change any updated standards of individual breeds - that seemed like a brilliant idea to me!)
so when I've typed one in - can someone double check my text for typos!
and not sure I should just add to the end of this thread?? as the individual breed standard will be hard to find - any suggestions about that? should I key in each standard as a new subject?

just put them in breed standards.... under each breed..... and in advance.. THANK YOU :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:44 am

okay, I got a couple typed up - but some of them have a couple of pages explaining the standards/points etc and then another 3 pages on all the colour options available... so sorry, I won't go into each colour!
I'll put my first ones up in the Breed/Breeding - hopefully that's the right place? if not, let me know
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:46 am

actually I'll put them under 'Our breed database' - one breed per entry
Kracka
Emu
Emu

PreviousNext

Return to Showing, Exhibiting and Sale Days