Sussex

Information and Characteristics of breeds in New Zealand. One topic per breed
Forum rules
If you would like to add a breed, please do so.
Try to include as much detail about the breed as you know.
Country of origin, colours available, colour of eggs and any personal experiences etc.

All photo's need to be e-mailed to myself to be stored on a permanent server. Please PM me for e-mail address (to avoid SPAM)
Please do not take it personally if your post is edited - Moderators and Site Admin's might edit posts to make sure they are uniformed.
PLEASE LIMIT CHIT-CHAT - This is a database for information and not a discussion forum - Please use the Breeds, Breeders and Breeding forum to discuss these breeds.

Re: Sussex

Postby buzzard » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Here are some pics of my Lavender silver sussex

they are a lavender version of the silver sussex, just as the coronation is the lavender version of the light sussex,

they aren't a standard colour and some (in Aussie) refer to them as platinum, this name is incorrect and even the creator of them in Aussie regrets calling them this

buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby roobz316 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks for putting these pics up, they look nice. Now I know they are out there I can cross that off a potential future project. I have also seen pics of the isabella sussex but am not that fussed on them but do like the look of LSS. I think isabella looks better when it is a partridge
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Cheers Roobz
I wouldn't say these are out there,
but OT a friend of mine in Switzerland sent me an article a few months back about 'heritage breed chooks there, and they had a pic of an Isabel Welsummer, freakin amazing, - but my experience with lav diluted gold based birds here in NZ, our sun cuts it to shreds
and you will notice those lavs pics were taken in low level light
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Amazing colour - love their looks and very well done.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby boyswithchicks » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:11 am

Hi Guys, haven't posted for a while but would any of you have photos of Red Sussex. I bought some in as hatching eggs in October and of the 7 that hatched I have three males and 4 pulllets. The boys are growing to be huge birds but just wondering if the colours are correct as they are more orange than "red". Before I go to the exercise of looking for other breeders, I just wanted to see any comparison that may be available. Cheers.
boyswithchicks
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Did you get the Red Sussex from Ashburton? I haven't got pictures but they're deep red like a Rhode Island Red with slate undercolour and white legs.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby boyswithchicks » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:02 pm

No Marina, I got them up this way and they are definitely not deep red like a RIR, more orangeish with whte legs. Very striking birds but not what I thought were "Red". Maybe I should take a photo and post one up.
boyswithchicks
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Not the best bird, not the best picture and a Speckled Sussex but the Red Sussex look like this, especially the colouring. The female is a dark buff (too dark to be a buff but way off the red a Red Sussex should be.

Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby boyswithchicks » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks Marina.....the birds I have are nowhere near this colour and way more orange. I am busy over the next few evenings so wont be able to take photos but I will definitely post some for a comparison. If by a general consensus they are not viable for breeding purposes then I may use them for brooders and the boys will go into someones pot. They are big birds.
boyswithchicks
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:10 pm

If you are happy with everything except the colour - you could get a single dark rooster and put him over your hens, especially if your hens have the slate undercolour.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Previous

Return to Our Breed Database