Sussex

Information and Characteristics of breeds in New Zealand. One topic per breed
Forum rules
If you would like to add a breed, please do so.
Try to include as much detail about the breed as you know.
Country of origin, colours available, colour of eggs and any personal experiences etc.

All photo's need to be e-mailed to myself to be stored on a permanent server. Please PM me for e-mail address (to avoid SPAM)
Please do not take it personally if your post is edited - Moderators and Site Admin's might edit posts to make sure they are uniformed.
PLEASE LIMIT CHIT-CHAT - This is a database for information and not a discussion forum - Please use the Breeds, Breeders and Breeding forum to discuss these breeds.

Re: Sussex

Postby sewren » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:54 am

nzkings wrote:Ha ha.. the standard for Araucana says they can be "any Old English Game colour excluding off-colours".... how do you fathom that?????

Oh yes, very clear! :? :shock: :roll: :? :shock: :roll:
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby ChickyMum » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:37 am

I currently have 4 sussex eggs under a broody (due in 9 days), they are hopefully coronation sussex but their is also a chance they could be light sussex birds

is there any way of knowing early on (while they are chicks) which strain they will be or do I just have to "oh so patiently" wait until their proper feathers come in?
I currently have no chickens due to travelling
ChickyMum
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:21 pm

You'll have to wait until the neck feathers show but this only takes a couple of weeks or so.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:50 pm

I just had a look back at chick photos from last year and it looks like the Sussex chicks started to get their black neck feathers from about 4 weeks old. I can't remember if you could see the black in their wings before or after that, but hopefully you won't have too long to wait! :)
sewren

Postby Marina » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:23 am

sewren wrote:I just had a look back at chick photos from last year and it looks like the Sussex chicks started to get their black neck feathers from about 4 weeks old. I can't remember if you could see the black in their wings before or after that, but hopefully you won't have too long to wait! :)

2 weeks may be a bit optimistic, then. And yes, they get the black (or grey) in their wing feathers either earlier or at the same time.

I've intentionally written 'grey' because there are some blue (as opposed to lavender) based Coros floating around, at least here in Canterbury.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby roobz316 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:11 am

This one is 4 weeks old today, the neck colouring has just come through in the last 4-5 days

roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby roobz316 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:18 am

If they are light sussex you will be able to tell sooner as its much easier seeing the black coming through before the feathers have even grown through, it will look like someone has put a pinch of black sand on their necks
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:32 pm

roobz316 wrote:This one is 4 weeks old today, the neck colouring has just come through in the last 4-5 days

How handy of you to have chicks at just the right age ;)

And yeah, I thought that I could see the black a little earlier on the Sussex, but couldn't find pics from then. I seem to remember a very ugly stage with the black pinpricks coming through.
sewren

Postby buzzard » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:13 pm

should really put some of my pics up
here is a silver pullet (and a buff sussex pullet in the background)
I find this variety crazy frustrating to get to breed true, but stunners when you get it 'right'

---------------

no longer have lights, but here are some pullets that I sold a few years back, 3 of them were pretty tidy examples
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby ChickyMum » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:33 pm

ooooh I LOVE that silver pullet... I do have a "thing" for black/white chooks
It will certainly be interesting to see if I do get coronation sussex or light's ... and then are they boys or girls ..... :shock: :lol:
I currently have no chickens due to travelling
ChickyMum
Chicken
Chicken

Postby roobz316 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Those lights are mint Buzzard, I moved mine on last year in favour of the coro's and wish I had held onto them. The silvers, I have a couple of chicks, what is their makeup? Co with something else added? Silver duckwing ish? Reminds me I should put some pics up of my Leghorns.
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:38 am

The silvers are birchen, the above girl does have Co. All the literature states that Co has no effect on birchen, but I disagree but then some maintain there are 2 different alleles of birchen
hatch down is sensitive to restrictors and melanisers, but I wouldn't say they look duckwingish
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:02 am

I love silver Sussex - didn't realise there was any in NZ so good to hear that there are a few around :)
sewren

Postby buzzard » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:26 am

Id say all the silver around have been 'created' as with mine.
I bought a silver sussex hen off TM a couple of years back to do some test mating with her to see if the same genetic makeup as with mine, and she was a different bird all together than mine, type, laying ability, and genetic makeup.

had a hunt round in some old pics and found this one of one of a decent light, I think she is in the same pic as above
nicely marked with a maximum amount of black in the hackle without running too dark (losing the white edge) and even the white edge in the tail
nice wedgey bird, long back, full chest but still a fine (not coarse) head
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:53 am

buzzard wrote:nicely marked with a maximum amount of black in the hackle without running too dark (losing the white edge) and even the white edge in the tail

... with the dark 'cape' closing at the front - something rarely seen unfortunately. Those with only a partial cape look like they've been in haste when putting it on.
Marina
Emu
Emu

PreviousNext

Return to Our Breed Database